Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats – Creamy peanut butter banana overnight oats with a little coconut and chocolate. You’ll LOVE this make-ahead breakfast! (Gluten-free, vegan)
Overnight oats week continues with these Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats! This classic peanut butter + banana + coconut + chocolate combination makes fantastic ice cream (have you tried it!?), but the combo also works beautifully for breakfast.
To make it breakfast-approved, I tone down the sugar without sacrificing any of that delightful flavor combo I love so much. The end result is a creamy, (more naturally) sweet make-ahead breakfast that’s perfect for a busy day.
Did I mention they’re super easy to make? Because we’re talking EASY. Here’s what you need to make my chunky monkey overnight oats…
Here’s What Goes Into My Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats Recipe:
- (GLUTEN FREE) ROLLED OATS. Rolled oats are my favorite for overnight oats since they get soft after soaking without being mushy. (Want to use another kind? See the FAQ below!)
- CHIA SEEDS (OPTIONAL). Chia seeds add some plant-based protein and healthy fats, plus they give these chunky monkey overnight oats a nice, creamy texture. If you’re not a chia seed fan, you can skip them. (Just know your oats won’t be *quite* as thick and creamy. You can mitigate this by using 1/2 yogurt and 1/2 milk instead of all milk, if you like.)
- A PINCH OF SALT. A tiny pinch of salt (less than 1/8 tsp.) really makes a difference for me. I love that it keeps my overnight oats from tasting flat.
- PURE MAPLE SYRUP. You can make these sweeter or less sweet, depending on your taste. I usually use about 1-2 tsp. of syrup in my overnight oats, but if your banana is extra ripe, you might be able to get away with less.
- WHATEVER MILK YOU LIKE. You can use whatever milk you drink for chunky monkey overnight oats. We’re dairy-free, so we use almond, oat, cashew, or coconut, though soy, rice, and dairy milk also work. Use what you like!
- PEANUT BUTTER + BANANA + COCONUT. Peanut butter + coconut + bananas are the flavor base of chunky monkey overnight oats–so good! I love this combination so much! (See these for proof!) Also: I like natural peanut butter (just peanuts or peanuts + salt) because it blends in easier.
- OPTIONAL: MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS, CACAO NIBS, OR CRUSHED PEANUTS. Chunky monkey flavor usually includes a chocolate component. I usually use a tiny sprinkle of mini chocolate chips (since they go a long way!), but cacao nibs make a great unsweetened option. Then, you can add crushed peanuts for a little crunch!
Change It Up! Here Are A Few Variations To Try For These Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats:
- TRY POWDERED PEANUT BUTTER! To make your chunky monkey overnight oats a little lighter, you can try swapping regular peanut butter for powdered peanut butter. It’s lower in fat and calories and blends in really nicely with the liquid ingredients.
- TRY TOASTING THE COCONUT! To make these even more amazing, try toasting your coconut on the stove for a few minutes until it turns golden. The flavor is awesome!
- TRY USING CACAO NIBS. If you want to lower the sugar or just try something different, give cacao nibs a try! They’re unsweetened and have a delightful crunch. So good!
- TRY ADDING CRUSHED PEANUTS. I love adding a little crunch to the top of my overnight oats for some textural contrast. some crushed peanuts or granola are delicious!
- TRY ANOTHER NUT BUTTER OR SEED BUTTER. Mix things up by swapping out the peanut butter for almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, and more!
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats:
MY FAVORITE CONTAINERS FOR OVERNIGHT OATS. I love using these Weck jars or these small glass containers for my overnight oats recipes. (You just ideally want something with a lid so they stay covered in the fridge.)
HOW LONG DO OVERNIGHT OATS LAST IN THE FRIDGE? Generally speaking, overnight oats last well 2-3 days in the refrigerator. If you plan to make them several days in advance, I recommend…
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS SEVERAL DAYS AHEAD OF TIME. If you plan to make your chunky monkey overnight oats more than a day in advance, I recommend not adding the banana until you serve them, so it doesn’t oxidize and go mushy.
GLUTEN-FREE? BE SURE TO use certified gluten-free oats. Oats don’t contain gluten, but they’re often grown & processed in ways that cause cross-contamination, so you’ll want to buy certified gluten-free oats. Trader Joe’s, Bob’s Red Mill, Nature’s Path, and GF Harvest, and these sprouted oats are my favorites.
CAN I USE STEEL-CUT OATS OR QUICK-COOKING OATS INSTEAD? It’s up to you! Rolled oats are my favorite for texture in these chunky monkey overnight oats recipe (they soften but don’t go mushy). Quick-cooking oats can get a little mushy after a couple of days, and steel-cut oats often remain pretty chewy for my taste. But you do you!
DO YOU EAT THESE WARM OR COLD? Overnight oats are typically eaten cold, though if that weirds you out, you *can* warm them up in the microwave for about a minute, or on the stovetop. You may want to leave the banana out until after heating if you go this route and may need an extra splash of milk to maintain their creamy texture.
Love These Flavors? You Might Also Love:
HELPFUL FOR THIS CHUNKY MONKEY OVERNIGHT OATS RECIPE:
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star review and comment below when you make our Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print