Let’s Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread! This ultra chocolatey gluten-free zucchini bread is AMAZING. The perfect way to use up extra zucchini in the summer! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
It’s that time of summer where All The Zucchini are ready to be used, and we’re looking for ways to use this green summer vegetable!
Last year, it was a CRAZY delicious Almond Flour Chocolate Zucchini Cake. This year, it’s Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
This ultra-chocolatey chocolate zucchini bread is made with an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend so it’s easy to pull together (no need to mix and match flours!), and the end result is fudgy, tender, and perfectly studded with chocolate chips.
Here’s what you need to get started on our easy gluten-free chocolate zucchini bread recipe…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO OUR GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD:
- GRATED ZUCCHINI. Grated zucchini makes our gluten-free chocolate zucchini bread nice and moist. I know that’s the grossest word ever, but it’s true! (See the FAQ for a tip for grating zucchini!)
- EGGS + AVOCADO OIL. Eggs + avocado oil give this chocolate zucchini bread plenty of body and prevent it from getting dry.
- COCONUT SUGAR + VANILLA. To round out the wet ingredients, you’ll add coconut sugar and vanilla. You can totally use white or light brown sugar if you prefer in your chocolate zucchini bread.
- DARK COCOA POWDER. To give this gluten-free chocolate zucchini bread that ultra chocolatey look and taste, I use dark unsweetened cocoa powder, sometimes labeled Dutch-processed cocoa or alkalized cocoa powder. Dark cocoa powder tends to be less expensive and easier to find. Dutch processed cocoa is nice if you can find it!
- GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR. I use a simple 1:1 gluten-free flour to keep things simple. I prefer King Arthur Flour Measure-for-Measure gluten-free flour blend. It’s got a nice mix of flours, no strange taste or smell, and no grittiness. If you use other blends, you may have slightly different results.
- BAKING SODA + SALT. To finish up the dry ingredients, I add baking soda and salt. This will help the chocolate zucchini bread rise and balance the flavors nicely.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Aaaaand I love adding plenty of chocolate chips for even more chocolate flavor. A few on the top and plenty inside mean that you’ll get a little chocolate in every bite. Which is exactly how I like my chocolate zucchini bread.
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD:
A TRICK FOR GRATING ZUCCHINI. If you’ve got a food processor, grating zucchini takes less than 30 seconds. Just use the grating attachment, cut your zucchini in half, and get to work! Otherwise, I love this style of grater, which gathers everything up for you nice and tidily.
WHAT’S THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR FOR ZUCCHINI BREAD? I recommend using a 1:1 or measure-for-measure gluten-free flour blend for our chocolate zucchini bread. We highly recommend King Arthur Flour’s Measure-for-Measure flour. Our second choice is Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
CAN I MAKE THIS WITH REGULAR COCOA POWDER? Yes, though it won’t look or taste *quite* as chocolatey. You can find dark cocoa powder at lots of regular grocery stores, or you can order Dutch-processed cocoa here.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS WITHOUT EGGS? I haven’t yet. I’d probably start with flax eggs or powdered egg replacer if I were going to try a substitute.
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD? With most gluten-free baked goods, I prefer to put them in the refrigerator or freezer. This will keep in the fridge 2-3 days and in the freezer for about a month. (I like freezing it cut in slices so I can pull one out at a time.)
HELPFUL TOOLS + INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD: