Homemade Chai Spice Mix
Chai Spice Mix – Learn how to make chai spice mix with our easy recipe! Add it to drinks, baked goods, and so much more. Don’t miss all our favorite ways to use it below! (Naturally vegan, paleo, Whole30)
Are you a chai spice fan? This warm spice blend is famous for being used in Chai tea, but it’s also delicious in ALL kinds of recipes and baked goods. We started making our own blend a decade ago and I’ve never looked back–the flavors are SO GOOD.
Best of all, it’s easy to make your own chai spice mix! You just need a few simple spices, a jar to put them in, and you’re ready to go.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started on our homemade chai spice mix…
Here’s What Goes Into Our Chai Spice Mix
Kind of like pumpkin spice mixes, chai spice mixes can vary a bit, but they usually include different amounts of classic chai spice ingredients:
- Black Pepper
Some chai spice mixes also include nutmeg, allspice, star anise, or fennel. Our blend includes nutmeg–I love the warmth and depth it adds!
Yummy Ways To Use This Homemade Chai Spice Mix:
- Oatmeal. One of my go-tos! I love adding chai spice to a bowl of Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats in the morning.
- Banana Muffins + Banana Bread. Chai spice + bananas are a great pairing. Bananas add sweetness and the spices add warmth. Try adding chai spice to your favorite banana bread or banana muffin recipe. It’s YUMMY!
- Smoothies. It might seem a bit unexpected, but my favorite way to use homemade chai spice is in our Chai Spiced Banana Smoothies. The flavors are DIVINE together. This was Milo’s favorite smoothie as a baby, and we all still LOVE it now.
- Granola. Swap chai spice into our Warm Spiced Granola recipe for a chai inspired twist. The flavors are DELICIOUS and you’ll go back for seconds and thirds!
- Spice Cake. Substitute chai spice for the other spices in Apple Spice Cake. The warm flavors are great with apple!
- Pumpkin Muffins. Anything pumpkin is another natural pairing for chai spice. Use it like you would use pumpkin spice! Try it in Pumpkin Muffins, Pumpkin Cake, and more!
- Hot Cereal. Our Chai Spice Hot Cereal is a riff on a fabulous Jamie Olive Recipe. It feels and tastes like oatmeal, but has some adding staying power thanks to some ground nuts and other goodies. It’s a cozy cold weather breakfast that’ll stick to your bones!
FAQ + Tips & Tricks For The Best Chai Spice Mix:
How Long Does Homemade Chai Spice Mix Stay Fresh? Stored properly, homemade seasoning blends last about 1 year. After that point, your flavor will deteriorate and weaken. That’s why we’re making just about 1/4 cup chai spice mix here–it’s a small enough batch you can use it!
What’s The Best Way To Store Chai Spice Mix? The best way to store just about any homemade spice blend is to eliminate as much air as possible. Airtight jars with lids are always my first choice, but anything you can cover tightly will help keep air out and keep your spice blend tasting fresh. I like to label my jars with these white paint markers. (They wash off with soap and water)
Try To Use Fresh Spices When You Can (AKA – How Long Have You Had That Cinnamon?). Before you make your own chai spice mix, take stock of the spices you plan to use. When was the last time you bought cinnamon? How old is that nutmeg? If you’re not sure or your spices are more than 12 months old, I recommend replacing them if you can, since spices lose their potency and flavor over time. The best chai spice mix is made from fresh spices! Learn more about how long different herbs and spices last here.
Can I Grind My Own Spices? Absolutely! If you want the freshest flavor of all, feel free to grind your own spices. Learn more about how to grind spices here.
Prefer More Bite? Try This! If you like your homemade chai spice to have a bit more kick, you can increase either the pepper or ginger. Both will add warmth and heat to the recipe. Feel free to play around with the amounts a bit to get them right where you like them!
more yummy recipes to fall in love with:
SHOP TOOLS & INGREDIENTS FOR OUR CHAI SPICE MIX:
Homemade Chai Spice Mix
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: About 3 1/2 Tbsp. 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Learn how to make chai spice mix with our easy recipe! Add it to drinks, baked goods, and so much more. Don’t miss all our favorite ways to use it in the post! (Naturally vegan, paleo, Whole30)
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. cardamom
- 1/2 Tbsp. ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp. cloves
- 1/2 Tbsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- In a jar or small bowl, combine cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and black pepper.
- Whisk to combine well (or secure the lid to your jar and shake until well mixed).
- Store in an airtight jar or container up to 1 year.
- Add to smoothies, muffins, banana bread, pancakes, and so much more!
*If it’s been a while since you checked the freshness of your spices, now’s a great time! If you use old spices, your chai spice mix won’t have as vibrant flavor. Fresher spices make for better-tasting spice blends!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Seasoning
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: chai spice, chai spice mix, homemade chai spice, homemade chai spice mix