Healthy Banana Split – Turn a banana into a healthy banana split with a few simple toppings. This fun, snack (or breakfast!) feels like such a treat! (Gluten-Free, Vegan, or Paleo)
Now, THIS fruity snack is a treat that feels extra fancy and fun. Kind of like our apple nachos, a healthy banana split is a way to elevate fruit into a fun snack your kids (and you!) will be extra excited to eat.
We build our banana splits with a few simple ingredients, but you can get as creative with toppings as you like. Depending on what you top them with, you can even serve these for breakfast!
Here’s how you turn a simple banana into a fun, healthy banana split…
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY BANANA SPLIT:
- Start by slicing a banana lengthwise.
- Add a large dollop of plain or vanilla yogurt. (You can also use flavored yogurt if you prefer!)
- Sprinkle with granola, chopped nuts, or other goodies (see the next section for a list of ideas!)
- Add a little fun with some chocolate shell if you want! (It’s just 2 Tbsp allergy-friendly chocolate chips + 1/2 tsp coconut oil)
- Garnish with allergy-friendly mini chocolate chips or some sprinkles (these are dye-free!)
FUN GOODIES TO PUT ON A HEALTHY BANANA SPLIT:
You can build these banana splits as healthy or as much of a treat as you like. Besides a big scoop of yogurt and a banana, you can mix and match from some of these toppings…
- SPRINKLES – These ones are dye-free
- MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS – We love these allergy-friendly ones
- GRANOLA – We’ve been into this brand lately. Get 20% off your first order with this link!
- CHOPPED NUTS – Peanuts, almonds, pistachios, macadamia nuts…the sky’s the limit!
- SHREDDED COCONUT. Coconut is so yummy with bananas!
- PEANUT BUTTER OR ALMOND BUTTER. I love a little peanut butter with chocolate and banana!
- STRAWBERRIES, BLUEBERRIES, OR CHERRIES. Add something pretty and colorful on top!
- TOFFEE BITS – Not vegan or paleo, but really yummy if you eat dairy!
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST HEALTHY BANANA SPLIT:
GO FOR THE RIGHT RIPENESS. This is a bit of a personal preference thing, but you’ll want to use bananas that match your favorite ripeness. I love my bananas *just* barely ripe when they’re still a touch firm. My daughter prefers hers on the spotty and soft side.
OUR FAVORITE DAIRY-FREE YOGURT BRANDS. If like us, you’re dairy-free, you’ll want to go for a dairy-free yogurt. We like CoYo (not CoCoYo), So Delicious, and Culina lately, but you can also get good ones from Chobani and Yoplait!
MAKE THESE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE OF A TREAT AS YOU LIKE. If you’re eating these as breakfast banana splits, you’ll probably want to keep them pretty healthy, with options like yogurt, nut butter, granola, and fruit. If you’re eating it as a treat or snack, feel free to make it more treat-like with chocolate, sprinkles, etc.
LOVE THIS YUMMY SNACK? YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Apple Nachos (These are AMAZING)
- Perfect Soft Granola Bars
- 6 YUMMY Flavors of Trail Mix To Try
- Paleo Granola + Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits
PS – If you love fun snacks, you can sign up for our FREE 5-Day Virtual Snack Camp to get yummy kid-friendly snack recipes, tips for cooking with kids + helping picky eaters, and more!Print