Healthy Chocolate Covered Bananas – These chocolate-dipped bananas are my favorite Disneyland treat! They’re SO easy (and healthier!) to make at home. Plus, they’re gluten-free, vegan & paleo!
We’re wrapping up our last week of summer break this week. (I know it’s crazy early! We start remotely on Monday–we’re in modified year-round school). This summer has definitely been one for the books (it’s the staycation that never ends!), but we’ve definitely been missing travel and trips. Lately, that specifically means we’ve been missing Disneyland.
Today, we’re channeling some of that Disney magic into snack time with chocolate-covered bananas!
These frozen chocolate-dipped bananas were one of my first favorite Disney treats YEARS ago. Frozen bananas dipped in a gorgeous chocolate shell with nuts. Eating frosty chocolate banana pops in the sun while you watch a parade of Disney princesses stroll by and the smell of cotton candy and popcorn wafts through the air is tough to beat.
Since we can’t *always* be at Disneyland, we started making our own chocolate-covered frozen bananas a few years ago with a quick 2-ingredient vegan chocolate shell, and we’ve never looked back.
When you make them at home, you can top them with ANYTHING you want. And I’ve got lots of ideas for you to try!
Here’s what you need to get this Disney-inspired party started…
HERE’S HOW YOU MAKE FROZEN CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANAS:
- Cut ripe bananas in half widthwise.
- Insert a popsicle stick in the bottom, leaving plenty of room for your hand to hold.
- Place bananas on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat and freeze at least 2-3 hours, up to overnight.
- When you’re ready to dip the bananas, set out any desired toppings so your station is ready to go.
- Prepare your chocolate shell by melting chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a saucepan over low heat until silky smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into a narrow glass (like a juice glass!).
- Dip the frozen bananas into the chocolate mixture + immediately sprinkle with any desired toppings.
- Place back on the baking sheet + repeat with remaining bananas.
- Pop the bananas back into the freezer for a few minutes to harden, then transfer any that you’re not eating immediately to a freezer-safe bag and store in the freezer.
TOPPING IDEAS FOR FROZEN CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANAS
The topping options are endless (and they’re maybe the best part!). A few of my favorites…
- MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS. We just use more of these!
- TOASTED COCONUT. A little toasted unsweetened shredded coconut gives an almost almond-joy vibe!
- CRUSHED NUTS. Pistachios, macadamia nuts, peanuts, and hazelnuts are our favorites!
- COARSE SEA SALT. A pinch of coarse sea salt (this is my fave)
- SPRINKLES. Few things are as fun or cute as sprinkles! (These ones are dye-free)
- CRUSHED FREEZE-DRIED BERRIES. We like freeze-dried raspberries best!
- TOFFEE BITS. (not dairy-free)
- CEREAL. Crushed Cheerios, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, etc.
You could even do chopped up candy bars or drizzle caramel, nut butter, or white chocolate over them at the end if you’re feeling decadent!
FAQ + TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST CHOCOLATE DIPPED BANANAS
A NARROW GLASS WILL MAKE THIS EASIER THAN A WIDE ONE. I use a small juice glass. If you don’t have a narrow glass, you may need to get a little more creative with how you rotate the glass to cover your bananas in chocolate
AN AWESOME TIP FROM A READER FOR KEEPING THE CHOCOLATE SHELL LIQUID. Reader Debi says “I put my narrow glass inside a wider glass with very hot water in it. The chocolate shell stayed nice and smooth for dipping the very cold banana halves in.” This trick works like a charm! Thank you, Debi!
HAVE EVERYTHING SET OUT FIRST + WORK QUICKLY! Since the chocolate shell is designed to harden immediately, you’ll want to have everything set out so that you can immediately sprinkle your chocolate covered bananas with their toppings. If your shell hardens too quickly and you can’t get the toppings on, you may just want to double-dip it in your chocolate and try again!
A TIP FOR MINIMIZING MESS. A cooling rack set over a sheet pan will help contain all your drips and help the chocolate-dipped bananas harden and set better than placing them flat on a cookie sheet.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE-DIPPED BANANAS. Store any frozen chocolate-covered bananas you’re not eating immediately in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer. They’ll keep for a couple weeks!
CRAVING MORE? YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Fondue
- Healthy Chocolate Fudgecicles
- Cookie Dough Nice Cream
- The BEST Vegan Chocolate Pudding
- Dole Whip Popsicles
- Chocolate Brownie Hummus
HELPFUL TOOLS + INGREDIENTS FOR THESE CHOCOLATE-COVERED BANANAS: