Banana ice cream (or “nice cream”) is one of our favorite treats.
This version with healthy cookie dough bites mixed in is incredible!
There’s wouldn’t be a problem with this if I didn’t love using bananas in baking, smoothies, etc. But, I do! To solve the problem, I’ve taken to buying 1-2 bunches of underripe bananas that we’ll eat throughout the week and 1 bunch of spotty bananas that I can immediately put in the freezer to use for whatever I want.
It’s working really well. I can make a batch of banana muffins on a whim, or mix up an afternoon smoothie for snack. But, my favorite use lately (especially in the summer heat!) is for nice cream.
It’s been fun to play around with new flavors–I’ll add fresh raspberries, or toasted coconut and almonds, or even stir in a spoonful of freezer jam.
One of the more decadent versions we’ve tried is with this delicious cookie dough. The dough is eggless, meaning we can sneak as many bites as we want while we’re making it, and it stores like a dream in the freezer. It’s also made from wholesome ingredients–almond flour, honey, etc.
Other than the chocolate chips, it’s remarkably healthy.
And it’s remarkably delicious.
Notes on the Recipe:
Cookie dough. You certainly don’t have to use my cookie dough recipe. I love it because it fits our diet and doesn’t contain any raw eggs. If you want a recipe using regular white all-purpose flour, this one looks delicious.
Ch-ch-ch-chocolate. Our favorite allergy free chocolate chips are Enjoy Life. They’re free of all major allergens and the mini chocolate chips are perfect for this recipe. My other favorite is
Even more chocolate. Want to send things over the top? Try making this magic shell to drizzle over the ice cream. SO GOOD.
Tools of the trade. A few of you have asked about my food processor lately. I’ve had this 7-cup processor for 7.5 years and use it several times a week. It’s still in excellent shape. I highly recommend it!
Like this recipe? You might also like:Print
This will make more cookie dough than you need. Store the leftover cookie dough in an airtight bag or container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
For the nice cream
- 2 frozen ripe bananas, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup milk, or more if needed (I use unsweetened almond milk)
For the cookie dough:
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil, softened
- 2 Tbsp honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
For the cookie dough:
- Line a plate with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together butter/oil, honey, vanilla, and salt until well mixed and creamy. Mix in the almond flour. Stir in chocolate chips. Mixture will be fairly soft.
- Use a teaspoon to make tiny little balls. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, or until firm.
For the nice cream:
- When you’re ready for the ice cream, place bananas and milk into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth, adding more milk as necessary. Stir in cookie dough balls to taste and enjoy immediately!