This Lime Greek Yogurt recipe is one of my favorite healthy ways to flavor plain yogurt! Don’t miss our protein boost & topping ideas to try for a delicious breakfast or snack.
Are you on Team Greek Yogurt?
Over the past few years, I’ve been working on increasing my protein intake and Greek Yogurt has been a great way to do that! I love that it’s a higher protein option than traditional yogurt, and I love the thick, creamy texture. But I’ll be honest that plain Greek yogurt…tastes like sour cream to me.
That’s why I’m alway on the lookout for new ways to flavor Greek yogurt. Besides our Chocolate Protein Yogurt bowls (which I ate daily for literal months), this healthy Lime Greek Yogurt recipe is one of my all-time favorites since I originally shared it in 2012(!!!).
It channels the flavor of store-bought key lime pie yogurt, but I love that the flavor comes from whole food ingredients. It tastes delicious, and it doesn’t take a lot of effort! Win-Win!
Here’s what you need to make Lime Greek Yogurt…
Here’s What You need To Make This Easy Recipe:
- Plain Greek Yogurt. You can choose whatever fat percentage works best for your needs. There’s mounting evidence that choosing yogurt with at least SOME fat in it (like 2%/lowfat or 4%/whole milk) helps moderate glucose spikes. It will also help keep you full longer. I usually use 2% Greek yogurt or full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Lime Zest. This is where the most lime flavor is! Try to get just the green peel and not the bitter white pith underneath.
- Lime Juice. Then, lime juice adds even more lime flavor.
- Honey or Agave. You can use whatever sweetener works best for your dietary needs! I usually use honey or agave, but readers have made this with keto sweeteners over the years with good results. (I don’t recommend maple syrup because the flavors conflict to my tastebuds)
- Optional Extras. More on this in a minute!
How To Flavor Your Own Yogurt, Step By Step:
- Zest The Lime. Start by zesting the lime. It’s easier and safer to juice the lime second. Use a microplane zester or grater to get JUST the green lime zest, avoiding the bitter white pith underneath.
- Juice The Lime. Next, cut the lime in half or into wedges and squeeze the juice out of the lime. I love this inexpensive citrus squeezer to make it easy!
- Combine. In a large bowl, combine Greek yogurt with lime zest, lime juice, and 1 Tablespoon honey, agave, or your sweetener of choice, along with any desired extras. Whisk to combine well until everything is well blended and the lime zest is evenly distributed.
- Taste & Adjust. At this point, you can taste the yogurt and add more sweetener, as needed.
- Serve & Store. Enjoy the yogurt right away, or cover in an airtight container and store in the fridge up to 5 days. If the yogurt separates at all overnight, just give it a quick stir before enjoying the leftovers.
Toppings, Mix-Ins & Extras To Try:
When you feel like mixing things up, here are a few yummy options:
- Add Collagen or Protein Powder. Yep! Just like our Chocolate Protein Yogurt bowls, you can add 1 scoop of your favorite collagen or protein powder to this yogurt for an extra protein boost. (This can bring a 2/3 cup serving up over 30 grams of protein!) I usually use unflavored collagen, since the lime juice, lime zest, and honey cover up the flavor, but you can absolutely use a vanilla protein or collagen. Feel free to start small (1/2 scoop or less) and add more, to taste.
- Vanilla Extract. A few drops of vanilla adds a really lovely creamy vibe that definitely makes this taste like key lime pie or a lime creamsicle!
- Coconut Extract. Or, you can add 1-2 drops of coconut extract (a little goes a LONG way!) for a coconut lime flavor twist.
- Fresh Mint. Go for a mojito-inspired flavor by adding a little minced fresh mint to the mix. It’s delicious!
- Build Out Your Bowl! Turn this into a more filling meal or snack by adding goodies! Try chopped nuts or granola (even Paleo granola!), hemp seeds, fresh berries or mango, toasted coconut, and more!
- Make It A Treat! If you want to turn it into a healthy dessert, you can sprinkle in some crushed or crumbled graham crackers (gluten-free graham crackers or regular, depending on your needs!) for a high protein key lime pie dessert!
Or, Try It As A Dip!
You can also absolutely use this lime Greek yogurt recipe as a fruit dip or snack dip! Serve it with fresh berries, pineapple, mango, graham crackers, or fruit skewers for a tasty snack or healthy treat.
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Lime Yogurt:
Our Favorite Brands Of Greek Yogurt. I’ve made this with alllll the brands of yogurt over the years, from store brands to name brands, and it works great every time! That said, my all-time favorite is Fage brand when it’s on sale. I get the larger tubs and make a few batches of this yogurt to enjoy during the week.
Can I Make This With Dairy-Free Yogurt? Yes! We like Coyo (NOT CocoYo) and Culina plain dairy-free yogurt or you can make homemade coconut milk yogurt. Just know that the texture can vary slightly. Dairy-free yogurt or vegan yogurt alternatives are often thinner than Greek yogurt. (Siggis, So Delicious, and Chobani also have dairy-free options!)
Does This Work With Lemon? Yes! You can swap out the lime zest and lime juice for lemon zest and lemon juice. It’s delicious!
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star review and comment below when you make our Lime Greek Yogurt recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print
Originally shared May 2012. Fully updated May 2023.