Let’s make a watermelon refresher mocktail! This delicious drink is full of natural electrolytes and no added sweeteners. It’s light, cool, and tastes delicious!
Most days this summer, we’re spending the afternoons outside in the sunshine at the pool. The kids can burn off all their energy swimming, jumping, and splashing, and they’re big enough now that I can mostly enjoy watching them and hanging out in the shady parts of the water while they swim.
With temperatures blasting in the triple digits, we’re looking for ALL the ways to cool off! Usually that means a homemade popsicle (or two or seven), but we’ll take anything cool and refreshing that we can get!
Enter: the Watermelon Refresher!
This homemade electrolyte mocktail is a delicious, delightful way to cool down when the temperature’s are soaring. It’s made from just THREE simple, nourishing ingredients, no added sweeteners, and LOTS of flavor.
Grab a cup and some ice, and let’s make them! Here’s what you’ need to make this Watermelon Refresher drink…
Here’s What You need To Make This Homemade Electrolyte Drink
- Fresh Watermelon. This a GREAT use for a watermelon that’s extra big (I’m looking at you Costco watermelons!). You’ll need a full 4 cups for this recipe.
- Fresh Lime Juice & Lime Zest. Next up is some fresh lime juice (for brightness), and a little lime zest for more punchy lime flavor.
- Coconut Water. Nature’s gatorade! Coconut water is full of natural electrolytes, like potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium. These minerals are key for our body’s optimal functioning, and help hydrate our cells. These electrolytes can get depleted in heat and through sweating. Pairing up the natural electrolytes in watermelon and coconut water, this drink is SUPER hydrating!
- Optional Extras: Fresh Mint or Sparkling Water.
Do You Know How To Cut A Watermelon?
Cutting a watermelon is definitely one of those life skills a person needs when they grow up! There are all kinds of favorite ways to cut a watermelon, but this is the one I use: Cut off the the ends, cut away the rind, then cut into small cubes. Works like a charm!
How To MAke A Watermelon Refresher Drink, Step By Step:
- Prep Your Watermelon. If you haven’t already, dice your watermelon. Cut off the stem and and the opposite end of the watermelon and turn it onto one of these flat sides. Use a sharp knife to cut away the rest of the watermelon rind, then slice watermelon into cubes.
- Add Ingredients To The Blender. When the watermelon is ready, add 4 cups of watermelon along with the lime juice, lime zest, and 1/2 cup coconut water to a blender.
- Puree Until Smooth. This won’t take too long since watermelon breaks up easily, but make sure there are no large chunks or sections left.
- Strain (If You Want). If you prefer a totally smooth, thinner drink. pour the drink through a fine-mesh strainer to strain out any excess pulp. (I like to leave it in!)
- Pour Over Ice. Then, just pour it into glasses with ice and serve chilled. Garnish with mint leaves, lime slices, watermelon, etc.
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Watermelon Refresher Mocktail:
Tips For Choosing A Good Watermelon
I’ve heard LOTS of tips over the years, but the ones that work best for me are:
- KNOCK ON THE WATERMELON. A more hollow sound often means it’s juicier!
- A YELLOW SUNSPOT. The sunspot is the place where the watermelon has been sitting on the ground. Yellow (instead of white or green) typically means the watermelon is more ripe.
- FEEL HOW HEAVY IT IS. A ripe watermelon will feel heavy for its size (heavier often means juicier).
Variations To Try
- Make It Sweeter. If your watermelon isn’t super ripe, feel free to add a little agave syrup or sugar to sweeten your drink.
- Make It Frosty! Try this as a frozen watermelon refresher by using half frozen watermelon cubes and half fresh. It gives it a delicious slushy texture that’s extra cooling.
- Make It Sparkly! Skip the coconut water and use sparkling water instead for some fizz. Feel free to add as much or as little as you like.
- Make It Boozy. I don’t drink, but every time I post a mocktail recipe, I get asked about adding alcohol. Watermelon and lime are often paired with vodka or tequila, so you might start there if you’d like to turn it into a cocktail.
- Make It Fruity. You can also mix things up by adding 1 cup of raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries. This tastes delicious!
Pretty Garnishes To Try
Finish this watermelon mineral mocktail with some pretty garnishes to make it stand out!
- Add Some Tajin. For a tex-mex twist, you can add a Tajin rim or a little pinch of Tajin to the drink. This isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but the chili-lime is a fun addition!
- Lime Salt. Or, add a lime salt rim.
- Lime Wheels or Wedges. Play up the flavors in the drink with a wedge, slice, or wheel of lime.
- Watermelon. Add small watermelon wedges to the side of your glass, or use small cookie cutters to punch cute shapes out of watermelon to add.
- Fresh Mint. Mint + watermelon + lime is AMAZING together. Trust.
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star review and comment below when you make our Watermelon Refresher Mocktail recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print
Originally published June 2014. Fully updated May 2023.