Updated from the archives
Summer movie nights are one of our favorite things. We usually keep dinners simple so we can snuggle into the couch with something easy to eat. This is one of our favorite simple dinners.
This open-faced sandwich goes great with fruit or a salad. It’s easy to throw together after a long day. You can use homemade ranch dressing or your favorite store-bought kind, and you can feel free to swap out the cheese for a different kind if you like.
I know it sounds really simple, and probably a little boring, but I really can’t convince you enough how delicious it tastes! (Especially if you add a few slices of cooked bacon…wow)
- 1/2 large loaf French bread (cut the whole loaf in half lengthwise and use one half)
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 – 1 1/2c grated mozzarella or Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1–2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ranch dressing
- Preheat broiler, or bring oven to 400.
- In a small bowl, combine chicken, green onions, and enough ranch dressing to make a chicken salad (some people like very little, others prefer more dressing). Scoop and spread onto bread.
- Top with tomato slices and sprinkle with cheese (or layer slices, if using). Bake just until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Cut into slices and serve.
In fairness, I should tell you this is dynamite when you add bacon.