A gorgeous, bright lemon cake that’s perfect for any occasion! Don’t skip the whipped coconut cream and fresh berries! (Adapted from Simply Recipes)
For the Cake:
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder*
For the Lemon-Honey Glaze:
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
To Top (Optional):
- Coconut whipped cream
- Fresh Berries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment and spray with nonstick spray.
- Separate egg yolks and whites and place in two separate, VERY clean metal or glass bowls. (Egg whites will not whip if there is any grease in your bowl and they need the friction of metal or glass to whip well).
- To the yolks mixture, add honey, lemon zest, and vanilla. Stir well until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder. Stir into yolks mixture. (Mixture will be quite thick).
- Using a hand mixer (or a whisk and a lot of elbow grease!), whip egg whites on medium speed until just frothy. Pause and add a pinch of salt and the cream of tartar.
- Continue to whip, now on high speed, until they reach the soft peaks stage. There should be no more liquid egg whites on the bottom of the bowl, and when the beaters are lifted out of the egg whites, the peaks should flop over slightly (instead of standing straight up).
- Working in 3-4 batches, gently fold the whipped egg whites into the cake batter. At first, this will seem like it might not work. Just keep going, gently using a spatula to fold the mixture together (don’t stir quickly or you’ll deflate the batter). Repeat with remaining whipped egg whites until all are incorporated into the batter. Batter will be lighter in color and very fluffy.
- Pour batter into your prepared pan and gently shake to even out the surface.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
WHILE THE CAKE IS BAKING, make your lemon-honey glaze —
- In a small bowl or saucepan, whisk together honey and lemon juice until very smooth and well blended.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Remove the springform, and while the cake still quite warm, brush with the lemon-honey glaze.
- Allow cake to completely cool before slicing, or topping with any garnishes–I prefer whipped coconut cream and fresh berries.
*If you are strictly paleo, you can substitute 2/3 tsp cream of tartar and 1/3 tsp baking soda for the 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Oven, Baking
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: lemon cake, almond flour, almond flour lemon cake, paleo cake, paleo lemon cake,