Breakfast Cauliflower Rice with Bacon & Mushrooms – This Bacon Mushroom Cauliflower rice is such a delicious way to start the day. Just add an egg and it’s one amazing low-carb breakfast! (Gluten Free, Paleo, Whole30)
Are you a savory or sweet breakfast person? I alternate between both–I go through phases where all that I want is steel cut oats (try one of these 7 ways to make them!) or fruit on the bottom chia pudding or a good smoothie.
Then, there are savory phases, where it’s all about the avocado toast, or breakfast potatoes, or something quick and easy like this breakfast cauliflower rice skillet.
One thing I love about a good savory breakfast is that it’s easy to fit in lots of veggies! This breakfast cauliflower rice is a perfect example. You’ll get four different veggies in this dish, plus a little breakfast-y protein from some bacon, while keeping this light enough to add a poached or fried egg on top and some fruit on the side.
It’s a delicious lower carb, gluten free, paleo AND whole30 approved breakfast that tastes delicious whether you’re focused on eating healthfully or not. Here’s how easy it is to toss together…
HERE’S WHAT I PUT IN MY BREAKFAST CAULIFLOWER RICE:
CAULIFLOWER RICE (+A LITTLE BROTH). Riced cauliflower is a great neutral base for this veggie-licious breakfast. Feel free to use the frozen stuff! I almost always do. Its so handy to pick up a bag of ready-to-go cauliflower rice in the freezer section! (If you need or want to make it yourself, here’s a quick tutorial.) You’ll soften it up with a little bit of broth. Veggie or chicken will do!
BACON. Channeling those breakfast vibes with a little smoky bacon. I usually do 4-6 slices, depending on how hungry I am. You do what sounds best to you!
MUSHROOMS. The mushrooms get golden and lend some delicious depth to this breakfast cauliflower rice recipe. Love them here!
ONION + GARLIC. These aromatics lend a nice flavor base to the cauliflower rice, and blend right in texture-wise. So nice!
SPINACH. It’s amazing that you can really PACK in the spinach in this breakfast cauliflower rice. Right when you add the spinach it feels like too much, but give it a minute or two and it’ll wilt to a much more reasonable volume.
SALT & PEPPER. You’ll notice if you forget to add a little salt and pepper! They wake up these veggies and really bring out their flavor. If the dish tastes a little flat, add another pinch!
EXTRAS (OPTIONAL). You can finish this off with a pinch of fresh herbs (cilantro or basil are nice!), a drizzle of sriracha, or a little parmesan cheese if you tolerate dairy.
YUMMY WAYS TO SERVE THIS BREAKFAST CAULIFLOWER RICE:
FOR BREAKFAST OR BRUNCH:
- WITH EGGS! I love adding eggs to this breakfast cauliflower rice. Soft-poached, fried, or soft-boiled are all delicious, though you can certainly pair it next to scrambled eggs if that’s your jam!
- WITH FRIED OR ROASTED TOMATOES. Not only do the tomatoes lend a pretty pop of red, they give this dish some BLT vibes (with spinach standing in for the lettuce). And it’s kind of a paleo nod to an English fry-up!
- WITH SAUSAGES. You can keep those English fry-up vibes going by adding a few cooked breakfast sausages, sliced chicken & apple sausage, or kielbasa on the side. Whatever sounds best!
- NEXT TO YOUR FAVORITE MEATY MAIN DISH. Serve this bacon mushroom cauliflower rice next to steak, chicken, sausages, pork chops, or whatever sounds good! It’s a delicious side dish that makes any meal better.
- WITH LEFTOVER COOKED CHICKEN MIXED IN. You can elevate this from side dish to main dish by tossing in some cooked chicken at the end. (Grilled, shredded, rotisserie, whatever!)
- WITH EGGS! Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things ever.
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR PERFECT BREAKFAST CAULIFLOWER RICE:
CAN I USE FROZEN CAULIFLOWER RICE? Absolutely! I do almost every single time. It’s pretty affordable and is available at most major grocery stores these days. Check by the frozen veggies!
HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR OWN CAULIFLOWER RICE? This is a great, thorough tutorial that’ll walk you through the whole thing.
WHAT ARE SOME OTHER VEGGIES I CAN TRY? If you want to add more veggies, you can add some diced bell pepper along with the onions, or experiment with whatever sounds good in your fridge!
CAN I MAKE THIS VEGAN (WITHOUT THE BACON)? Yes! Instead of crisping bacon and using the bacon drippings, you’ll use olive oil instead. It won’t have the same salty-smoky vibes, but it’s still really yummy. I add a little splash of Tamari/soy sauce/coconut aminos when I do it meatless for a little umami.
LIKE THIS CAULIFLOWER RICE RECIPE? YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE:
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- Taco Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- Paleo Jambalaya with Cauliflower Rice
- Paleo Mini Quiche
- Fruit on the Bottom Chia Pudding
HELPFUL FOR THIS RECIPE: