Roasted Breakfast Potatoes and Veggies – These yummy breakfast potatoes taste like the skillet potatoes you could order at a diner without all of the work involved! A perfect meal prep recipe. (Vegan, Gluten Free & Whole30 Approved!)
To make things easy, I’ve been roasting up a pan of veggies once or twice a week, so it only takes me a few minutes to pull together something for breakfast. This roasted breakfast potatoes and veggies blend tastes like the skillet potatoes you might order for breakfast or brunch in a restaurant, but don’t require all of the attention needed to make them. Plus, I can make a BUNCH in one go instead of being limited by the size of my cast iron skillet. Plus, they’re SUPER versatile. For example…
Why These Breakfast Potatoes and Veggies Are Amazing:
Hello gorgeous, crispy texture! The texture of these veggies is just amazing (at least to me). The peppers are tender and sweet, the onion has mellowed out and caramelized a bit, and the potatoes get creamy inside while keeping a gorgeous crispy exterior.
The seasoning blend is PERFECT. As for the seasoning blend, that’s really my favorite part. These are so flavorful! I’ve been amazed at how much flavor you can coax out of simple herbs and spices. I do recommend fresh herbs if you have them for this dish, but if not, you can always sub 1/3 the amount dried. (i.e. 2 Tbsp fresh dill = 2 teaspoons dried dill). Dill has been one of my favorites lately, primarily because I’ve made a batch of this avocado ranch about every other week for the last few months. But I also experimented with basil and cilantro. Every one of them is delicious.
They’re great any time of day. I call the roasted breakfast potatoes, but really, these roasted potatoes and vegetables are at home any time of day. We often eat them for dinner, paired with some chicken apple sausage, turkey kielbasa, or a fresh side salad. Leftovers reheat like a dream for breakfasts, but they also pack beautifully for lunches throughout the week.
Make a batch, dear reader. They’re amazing for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and no matter what meal of the day you serve them, they’re sure to please!
Meal Prepping + Ways to Serve These Breakfast Potatoes:
This recipe is PERFECT for meal prep. I’m a huge fan of meal prep for making it easy to eat well throughout the week (see all my best meal prep tips here). Roasted Breakfast Potatoes are a perfect meal prep recipe because not only are the fabulous day one, but the leftovers can be used for easy breakfasts and lunches. A few ways to enjoy them…
- Serve a poached or fried egg on top
- Scoop into corn tortillas for breakfast tacos with eggs and sausage or bacon
- Turn them into mini frittatas! Add to muffin cups and cover with beaten eggs, like these for mini frittatas.
- Pair with a protein or healthy fat. Maybe add some avocado or chicken sausage on the side or serve with leftover protein from dinner
- Add a side salad and call it a day!
Tips & Tricks for Perfect Crispy Roasted Breakfast Potatoes and Veggies:
If you want the veggies to brown and crisp more quickly… simply divide the mixture between two pans. The more air circulation you get, the less steaming (and more crisping) you’ll get. Also, do be sure to try to keep your dice the same between the different veggies to ensure even cooking.
Switch up the veggies! I’ve added all kinds of veggies to these over the years. In the summer, I might toss in a diced zucchini or some baby tomatoes I need to use. During winter, I might add some mushrooms. The recipe is flexible and can take some experimenting!
Change up the spice blend. You can use any fresh herbs you like here. I love dill, but I’ve also made these with cilantro and basil, and they’re good every single way. If you like a kick, you can also add a pinch of cayenne (or serve these with hot sauce).
Add some extra protein. If I’m making this for a week of breakfasts/lunches, I’ll usually slice up some Aidell’s chicken sausages (chicken & apple or mango & jalapeño are my favorites) and add them to the roasting pans, too. You’ll definitely want to separate the mixture onto two sheet pans. It’s too much for one!
Like this recipe? You might also like:
- Fruit on the Bottom Chia Pudding (Another great meal prep breakfast!)
- Easy Paleo Mini Quiche (a great way to use up leftover potatoes/veggies!)
- Cinnamon and Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, diced (about 1/2″)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into large dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large dice
- 1/2 onion (I prefer red or sweet onions), cut into large dice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill* (can sub rosemary, basil, or cilantro)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, bell peppers, and onion. Sprinkle seasonings and fresh herbs over veggie mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat.
- Place mixture on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes (or until veggies are tender and cooked through), stirring halfway through the cooking time.
- For a crispier finish, divide mixture between two baking sheets.
*If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, feel free to use dried herbs. You’ll use 1/3 the amount, so instead of 2 Tbsp fresh herbs, you’d use 2 tsp dried.
Keywords: roasted potatoes, roasted breakfast potatoes, breakfast potatoes, breakfast potatoes and veggies,