Cherry Almond Overnight Oats – Creamy overnight oats loaded with tangy cherries and crunchy almonds. This yummy overnight oats recipe is one of our favorites! (Gluten-free, vegan)
Meal prep breakfasts are my favorite friend right now. I love that with a little bit (like 3-5 minutes) of prep the night before, I can wake up to a delicious, healthy breakfast the next morning. It helps when that breakfast tastes as great as these cherry almond overnight oats!
Creamy and satisfying, I love that this grab-and-go breakfast is great for busy mornings, hot weather, and days when I could use an extra boost.
In case you could use a little breakfast help too, here’s what you need to make my cherry almond overnight oats (you might have most of it on hand!)…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY CHERRY ALMOND OVERNIGHT OATS RECIPE:
- (GLUTEN FREE) ROLLED OATS. Rolled oats are my favorite for overnight oats since they strike the perfect balance of soft after soaking without being mushy. (Want to know if you can use another kind? See the FAQ below!)
- CHIA SEEDS (OPTIONAL). Chia seeds add plant-based protein and healthy fats to my cherry almond overnight oats, and they also make them extra creamy. If you’re not a chia seed person, feel free to skip them. (Your oats won’t be *quite* as thick and creamy, but you can mitigate this by using 1/2 yogurt and 1/2 milk instead of all milk if you like.)
- A PINCH OF SALT. A *tiny* pinch of salt (less than 1/8 tsp.) is a must for me in my overnight oats. I love that it keeps them from tasting flat!
- PURE MAPLE SYRUP. You can make these sweeter or less sweet, depending on your taste. I usually use about 1 tsp. of syrup in my overnight oats, but you may want to add more or less.
- WHATEVER MILK YOU LIKE. You can use whatever milk you drink for cherry almond overnight oats. We’re dairy-free, so we use almond, oat, cashew, or coconut though soy, rice, and dairy milk also work. Use what you like!
- FRESH OR DRIED CHERRIES. Cherry almond overnight oats are EVEN better with fresh cherries, but when those aren’t in season, I love using dried cherries. I look for unsweetened dried cherries when I can.
- SLICED OR CHOPPED ALMONDS. For some crunch and additional healthy fat/protein, I love adding some almonds to these overnight oats. I usually add half upfront, then top them with the other half right before serving for a little crunch.
- A TINY BIT OF ALMOND EXTRACT (OPTIONAL). To play up the almond and cherry flavors, I recommend adding 1-2 drops of almond extract to your cherry almond overnight oats, if you have it. If not, no biggie! You can use some vanilla instead.
YUMMY WAYS TO PLAY WITH THIS CHERRY ALMOND OVERNIGHT OATS RECIPE:
- TRY IT WITH FRESH CHERRIES! When fresh cherries are in season, they’re *delicious* in cherry almond overnight oats. I like adding 2-3 Tbsp. at least!
- DRIZZLE WITH A LITTLE ALMOND BUTTER. You can play up the almond flavor even more with a little drizzle of almond butter right before serving. It’s tasty!
- TOAST THE ALMONDS. Toasting almonds on the stove in a dry pan for a few minutes till they’re golden gives them SO much flavor. It’s an easy way to add more depth to this recipe!
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST CHERRY ALMOND OVERNIGHT OATS
MY FAVORITE CONTAINERS FOR OVERNIGHT OATS. I love using these Weck jars or these small glass containers for overnight oats, though LOTS of different containers work. You just ideally want something with a lid so they stay covered in the fridge.
DO YOU EAT CHERRY ALMOND OVERNIGHT OATS WARM OR COLD? Overnight oats are typically eaten cold, though if that weirds you out, you *can* warm them up on the microwave for about a minute, or on the stovetop. You may want to leave the fruit out until after heating if you go this route and may need an extra splash of milk to maintain their creamy texture.
HOW LONG DO OVERNIGHT OATS LAST IN THE FRIDGE? Generally speaking, overnight oats last well 2-3 days in the refrigerator. If you plan to make them several days in advance, I recommend…
TIPS FOR MAKING THEM SEVERAL DAYS AHEAD OF TIME. If you plan to make this cherry almond overnight oats recipe several days in advance, I recommend only mixing in about half the cherries and almonds. They’ll soften over time and flavor the oats more fully, but for the best texture, I love adding the other half of the cherries and almonds right before serving.
GLUTEN-FREE? READ THIS! You’ll want to make sure you use certified gluten-free oats. Oats don’t contain gluten, but they’re often grown and processed in ways that cause cross-contamination, so you’ll want to buy certified gluten-free oats. Trader Joe’s, Bob’s Red Mill, and these sprouted oats are my favorites.
CAN I USE STEEL-CUT OATS OR QUICK-COOKING OATS INSTEAD? It’s up to you! Rolled oats are my favorite for texture in this cherry almond overnight oats recipe (they soften but don’t go mushy). Quick-cooking oats can get a little mushy after a couple of days, and steel-cut often remain pretty chewy for my taste. But you do you!
CRAVING MORE BREAKFAST IDEAS? YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 7 FLAVORS OF OVERNIGHT OATS – (6 MORE FLAVORS TO LOVE!)
- HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT STEEL CUT OATS (+ 7 FLAVORS TO TRY!)
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY SMOOTHIE
- ROASTED BREAKFAST POTATOES & VEGGIES
- VERY CHERRY SMOOTHIE