Fall Cobb Salad with Rosemary Croutons and Cider Vinaigrette – This delicious autumn take on a classic Cobb is the perfect fall or winter salad!
This post is written in partnership with Canyon Bakehouse. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting me as I work with brands we love!
Cobb salad has been one of my favorite salads since I was in my teens, primarily because there are SO many goodies in it! Smoky bacon, delicious dressing, veggies, etc. So good! A waiter once taught me an acronym for what goes into a Cobb that’s always made it easy for me to remember…
EAT COBB = Eggs + Avocado + Tomatoes + Chicken + Onion + Bacon + Bleu Cheese.
See? So many goodies! Since Cobb salads became popular so many years ago, there have been endless riffs on the classic. Some people put the bleu cheese into a creamy dressing, some people swap out the chicken for ham, or add some extra veggies, like cucumber and carrots, or even things like black olives.
I’ve done lots of variations myself, but I’ve got to say, this fall Cobb salad is one of my favorite twists. I swapped out some of the summery parts (like tomatoes) for an autumn twist. I used some Honeycrisp apples (my favorite!) and some roasted squash to fill out the veggies, and instead of a classic vinaigrette, I made a cider vinaigrette which complements the flavors so nicely.
I love that you can use chicken OR turkey here, which makes it the perfect way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers! I just love the blend of flavors, especially with the rosemary garlic croutons.
My kids will happily enjoy salad night when there are croutons involved. I usually serve the different components separately so everyone can add what they like. Milo will load up on the bacon, chicken, and croutons. Sophie will favor the apples and eggs. Everyone can find something they love, which means one less dinnertime battle!
You can use a fresh loaf of bread or save the ends from a few loaves until you have enough to make a batch. Canyon Bakehouse always comes through for us. Their breads and bagels all have an incredible soft, pliable texture and feel and taste like the “real” thing. Their Heritage line of breads is perfect for family meals since these homestyle loaves lend a homemade feel. We love the Heritage Honey White and the Heritage Whole Grain. Both work for this recipe (and so many others!).
Notes on Fall Cobb Salad:
- PALEO & WHOLE 30 NOTES: This salad is VERY Whole30 friendly. Simply be sure your bacon is compliant, and swap out the croutons for pumpkin seeds or pecans. The cider dressing is 100% approved, but you can also try it with this compliant ranch if you like. (It’s delicious!)
- SWAPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS: There are so many ways to play with this salad. Don’t like avocado? Skip it. Aren’t into squash? Try sweet potatoes or some halved grapes. Try tossing in seasoned roasted squash or a mix of apples and pears. You can even drizzle this with a different dressing if you like, or add some extra veggies. It’s very forgiving!
- A TIP FOR HARD BOILED EGGS. I started steaming my eggs earlier this year and it’s made SUCH a difference! They’re so easy to peel and I haven’t yet had an overcooked one. I also love this little gadget for chopping them up once they’re cooked. (It’s great for potato or egg salad, too!)
You Might Also Love…
- Powerhouse Quinoa Salad – Another great fall option!
- Apple Apple Chicken Salad – Lots of apples in this yummy salad!
- Gluten Free Crispy Chicken Tenders – Crispy and amazing. Leftovers would even be good on this salad!
- Steak Salad with Avocado Green Goddess Dressing – Another LOADED salad
Find Canyon Bakehouse products near you here or sign up for a coupon. Don’t miss the bagels (the cinnamon-raisin is my favorite!), their classic loaves of bread, and their specialty buns, brownies, and more!