Let’s make Cinnamon Rosemary Sweet Potatoes! These roasted rosemary sweet potatoes have a gorgeous caramelized texture and a delicious blend of flavors you’ll crave over and over again. (Paleo, Vegan, Whole30)
It’s hard for me to imagine now, given how often we eat sweet potatoes these days, but I only ate sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving growing up!
Now, I eat them all year round as a regular side dish. They can be cooked so many different ways, and infused with so many delicious flavors, I keep them on regular rotation. I love that they’re just as easy to toss together on a Monday night as they are for a special occasion or holiday dinner, and these Cinnamon Rosemary Sweet Potatoes have been a favorite for years.
They’re especially good in the colder months, when the chilly temperatures have me craving warm flavors and cozy dishes. The subtle hint of cinnamon paired with the warmth of rosemary is PERFECT with the caramelized sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes. The aroma fills the house and draws you into the kitchen!
These lovelies make a perfect addition to your holiday table or your Tuesday night dinner. And here’s all you need to get started…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY CINNAMON ROSEMARY SWEET POTATOES.
- SWEET POTATOES. I like deeply orange sweet potatoes for sweetness and texture. My favorite are Garnet Yams or Jewel Yams. (They’re not actually yams–they’re sweet potatoes!) With their deep orange color, they have the sweetest natural flavor and they have a gorgeous texture that caramelizes on the outside while staying fluffy and lovely on the inside.
- OLIVE OIL OR AVOCADO OIL. I almost always gravitate toward olive oil, but avocado oil (this is my everyday fave!) is another lovely choice that does well at higher heat.
- CINNAMON. Cinnamon is a natural pairing with sweet potatoes (I use it in my healthy sweet potato casserole every year!), and here it really plays up the inherent sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
- FRESH ROSEMARY. Then, you’ll add some fresh rosemary. It has a lovely, hearty flavor that goes beautifully with the cinnamon. (Seriously, your house will smell heavenly once these cinnamon rosemary sweet potatoes go in the oven!)
- SALT. To balance the flavors, I finish these cinnamon rosemary sweet potatoes with plenty of salt. You’ll already have sweet notes from the sweet potatoes and cinnamon, plus hearty, savory notes from the rosemary. A little salt helps balance the flavors and make these shine!
CAN I USE DRIED ROSEMARY INSTEAD? You bet! Fresh rosemary is bright and punchy, while dried rosemary has a little more deep and understated flavor. You’ll use less dried rosemary than you would fresh, so be sure to read those directions in the recipe card!
FAQ + TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST CINNAMON ROSEMARY ROASTED SWEET POTATOES.
NERVOUS ABOUT THIS FLAVOR COMBO? If the cinnamon-rosemary combo sounds just too strange for you, you can certainly choose one flavor (cinnamon sweet potatoes OR rosemary sweet potatoes) and go with that.
A TRICK FOR CRISPIER ROASTED SWEET POTATOES. Don’t overcrowd the pan! When sweet potatoes are too close together, they tend to steam rather than roast. When there’s plenty of air circulation around them, they get that lovely crispy exterior! (If you really want them super crisp, you can add 1 Tbsp. arrowroot or cornstarch to them with the olive oil + seasonings. It’ll make a little crispy coating on the outside as they roast.)
DO YOU HAVE TO PEEL SWEET POTATOES? Nope! There’s actually some fiber and nutrients tucked into the skin of sweet potatoes and yams, so unless I’m mashing them, I almost never peel my sweet potatoes.
WHAT ARE THE BEST SWEET POTATOES FOR ROASTING? My two favorites are Garnet yams and Jewel yams. Their deep orange flesh stays sweet and fluffy while the exterior crisps up nicely! (They have a red-ish exterior and deep orange interior.)
OUR FAVORITE OLIVE OIL. I always love shouting out Queen Creek Olive Mill oils. (Not paid or sponsored.) The nicest family ever owns this mill and their award-winning oils are tops in flavor and quality. We love their Balanced oil for every day, but you can also try their Rosemary olive oil in this dish for even more flavor!
LOVE SWEET POTATOES? YOU’D PROBABLY LOVE…
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls (Vegan + Paleo Friendly)
- Sweet Potato + Black Bean Tacos (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili (Paleo + Whole30)
- Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes (Vegan + Paleo + Whole30)
- 6 AMAZING Ways to Stuff a Baked Sweet Potato (Vegan + Paleo Options)
- Paleo or Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Paleo Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes
PS – Are you into air frying? I totally want to try these in the air fryer. I’ve also got my eyes on this Air Fryer Butternut Squash recipe. YUM!