The Best Paleo Ranch Dressing (Dairy-Free!)
The BEST Paleo Ranch Dressing – This yummy paleo ranch comes together in 5 minutes or less and tastes good on just about everything! Come see how easy it is! (Gluten free, paleo, Whole30 approved)
I know I’ve said it before, but I’m WAY more likely to eat more veggies when I have a yummy dip or dressing with them. Ranch dressing is a staple, and when we went gluten and dairy free 6 years ago, paleo ranch dressing became a staple at our house.
This creamy homemade ranch dressing (or dip!) is dairy-free and delicious on basically EVERYTHING. We make a new batch every week or so (it’s easy to make a half batch, too!) and it’s always a big hit. SO many of you have enjoyed this recipe over the years, I wanted to give it a fresh makeover with new photos, updated directions, and a recipe video tutorial to go with it.
Here’s what goes into our FAVORITE paleo ranch dressing recipe…
Ingredients For Paleo Ranch Dressing & Whole30 Ranch Dressing:
My recipe for paleo ranch dressing is an easy one, made with a handful of staple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand, such as:
- PALEO MAYO. Usually this means avocado oil mayonnaise. You can buy several brands in the stores these days. This one and this one are two I often choose. (This one is really tasty but not strictly paleo) (You can also make your own. I used to have a tutorial for the mayo here, but found that my friend Cassie explains it much better than I ever did–complete with video!–using the same method I love. Here’s how to make your own paleo approved mayo.)
- NONDAIRY MILK OR WATER. To thin the mayo out a bit and keep this a dairy-free ranch dressing, you’ll add a splash of dairy free milk or water. For milk, my two faves are unsweetened cashew milk (thinner, with a super neutral flavor) or canned full-fat coconut milk, which is much creamier (and doesn’t make it taste coconut-y). Water also works, and I use it almost all the time.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. I like the kind with “the mother” in it. The mother is basically strands of proteins, enzymes and gut-friendly bacteria that give cider vinegar that murky look. Braggs or this one are my two faves.
- FRESH HERBS (OR DRIED HERBS). I love making this with fresh dill. 1 Tbsp gives lots of fresh flavor and some pretty flecks of color, but I use dried dill more often than not. For dried dill, you use 1/3 the amount of fresh. (So 1 teaspoon dried dill = 1 Tablespoon fresh dill)
- PANTRY SEASONINGS. Really basic, but great flavor comes from garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and black pepper.
7 Yummy Ways To Enjoy This Paleo Ranch Dressing:
Paleo ranch is truly good on almost everything. Our family isn’t paleo, but we are 100% gluten-free, so some of our favorites are gluten-free but not paleo-approved. Try this ranch…
- DRIZZLED ON SALADS. Obvious, but true. This ranch is great with all kinds of salads (like this one!). Mix and match your favorite proteins and veggies and drizzle with paleo ranch. Instant delicious lunch or dinner!
- AS A DIP WITH VEGGIES. Everyone at my house is more likely to eat vegetables when there’s something yummy to dip them in. This paleo ranch dip is a classic for kids and adults alike. It always goes well on a crudite plate at a party, and no one even realizes its paleo.
- ON BUFFALO CHICKEN BURGERS. Our paleo & Whole30-friendly Buffalo Chicken burgers are delicious with a drizzle of paleo ranch on top!
- WITH CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES. The combination of these Crispy Smashed Potatoes and the creamy ranch will change your life. This recipe is Whole30 approved and fantastic if you include potatoes in your diet.
- SERVED WITH CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS. We love this with our Gluten Free Crispy Chicken Tenders, Paleo Almond Flour Chicken Tenders, and our Pecan Crusted Chicken Tenders. Drizzle, dunk, or dip those chicken tenders!
- SPREAD ON SANDWICHES OR WRAPS. Swap your regular mayo for this paleo ranch! It’s fantastic on all kinds of sandwiches and wraps.
- IN CHICKEN SALAD AVOCADO CUPS. One of my favorite recipes ever. I love this Ranch BLT Chicken Salad and scooping it into lettuce cups or avocado cups makes it extra amazing.
FAQ + Tips For The Best Paleo Ranch Every Time
HOW LONG WILL HOMEMADE MAYO STAY FRESH? If you’re using store-bought mayonnaise, this paleo ranch will easily keep in the fridge for a week. If you’re using homemade mayo, I recommend going through it in closer to 4-5 days, if you can. I keep mine in a Mason jar or airtight container for best results.
WHOLE30? READ THIS! To make this as Whole30 ranch dressing, you need to be sure your mayo is Whole30 compliant (no soy, no added sugar, etc.) This brand and this brand are approved. (Or, you can follow the tutorial I linked above for making your own!)
CAN YOU LIGHTEN THIS RECIPE UP? If you’re not paleo (or include dairy in your diet), you can swap half the mayo for plain unsweetened Greek or grass-fed yogurt. It’ll be tangy and creamy and delicious!
CAN YOU MAKE IT VEGAN? You bet! Swap your favorite veganaise in place of the mayonnaise below. (Note: it probably won’t be paleo approved in this case)
Love Dairy-Free Ranch? I Bet You’d Also Love…
The Best Paleo Ranch Dressing (or Dip!)
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: about 1 cup 1x
This easy paleo ranch comes together in no time. Dairy free, gluten free, paleo and keto approved! We basically put it on everything!
For the ranch dressing:
- 3/4 cup paleo mayonnaise (such as avocado oil mayo*)
- 2–4 Tbsp coconut milk, unsweetened cashew milk, or water
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill or 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. salt (I like more salt!)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
For the ranch dressing:
- In a small bowl or a jar, combine mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp milk or water, cider vinegar, dill, garlic & onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk or blend together until smooth.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or seasonings to taste.
- Add additional milk/water if desired for a thinner consistency.
- Ranch dressing will keep for 1 week covered in the refrigerator.
*Look for avocado oil mayonnaise with no refined sugar, such as Primal Kitchen, Better Body, Chosen Foods, etc.
If you aren’t strictly paleo, you may also like Sir Kensington’s avocado oil mayo. (If not paleo, you can use whatever mayonnaise you like.)
For vegan version, use your favorite veganaise.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dip, Dressing, Salad Dressing
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Ranch Dressing, Homemade ranch dressing, paleo ranch dressing, dairy free ranch dressing, whole30 ranch dressing
Post, photos, and recipe updated June 2019. Originally posted March 2015.
I know this is an older recipe but it is literally the best ranch I’ve ever had. My husband is dairy free so I made it for him but then I used it too, so amazing!
Amanda – THANK YOU for taking the time to leave a review! It’s one of my ALL-TIME favorites! I’m so glad you love it, too! My sister and her husband aren’t dairy intolerant and they make a batch almost every week. It’s so good!
This really was amazing! I was skeptical as I’ve never found a homemade ranch recipe I’ve liked. This was so easy and delicious!
Kristen – I’m SO glad you loved it! I make a batch almost every week!
Could you make this using unsweetened Almond milk?
Could you omit the garlic and onion? Can’t have them.
Vera – You must have missed my last reply! Almond milk will work fine as long as it’s unsweetened and not vanilla! Without the onion or garlic, the flavor will be a little different, but you can compensate with a little extra pepper + dill, to taste. Hope you love it!
Thank you for this!! I’m paleo and have been really struggling finding recipes that work, this ranch is a keeper!!
YAY! I’m so glad it was a win for you. I’ve been making a batch most weeks for YEARS. It’s my favorite!
I love how easy this is! I just made it thinned with water, added parsley, and fresh dill. So so good. Thanks for sharing.
I’m so glad you loved it Kim! It’s my ALL-TIME favorite!