Gluten-Free Banana Muffins – This popular banana muffin recipe is the BEST! With the golden tops and fluffy middles, you’d never know they’re gluten-free and dairy-free!
I don’t know what it is about buying bananas, but I feel like I have never guessed the correct number we need a week in my life.
Some weeks, we FLY through bananas in a few days, and everyone’s begging for more. (“Why don’t we have more bananas!?”) Other weeks, I feel like the bunch I bought has somehow doubled, and they are all spotty because no one ate a single one all week. (“Why are there SO MANY bananas?!”)
There is no in-between at my house. It’s Eat All The Bananas or No One Eats Any Bananas. Anyone else?
Thank goodness for gluten-free banana muffins. This simple one bowl banana muffin recipe couldn’t be easier, and it’s one of my favorite ways to use the overripe bananas staring me down on the counter.
With their golden tops, soft fluffy middles, and the perfect amount of banana flavor, these gluten-free banana muffins make delicious snacks and tuck nicely into packed lunches.
Here’s what I put in my gluten-free banana oatmeal muffins that makes them taste so incredible…
Ingredients For these easy Gluten-Free Banana Muffins
- Ripe Bananas. This gluten-free banana muffins recipe uses 3 ripe bananas, which makes it such a great way to use up all the ripe ones on your counter. All those ripe bananas will give these muffins amazing flavor and texture., so you want them fully ripe with plenty of spots for this recipe.
- Coconut Oil or Melted Butter. Thanks to the four bananas in these gluten-free banana muffins, you only need a little additional fat in this recipe. I usually use melted coconut oil, or you can swap in melted butter/vegan butter for these muffins. It all works!
- Pure Maple Syrup. A little maple syrup gives these gluten-free banana muffins a perfect gentle sweetness.
- Almond Milk (Or Your Favorite). I usually use almond milk here, but feel free to use whatever your family drinks!
- Eggs. A couple of eggs help give your banana muffins plenty of puff and stretch.
- Vanilla Extract & Cinnamon. I like plenty of vanilla in my banana muffins. For a more traditional banana bread flavor I also add cinnamon.
- Gluten-Free Flour. There are lots of different gluten-free flour blends out there to choose from, but for my gluten-free banana muffin recipe, you’ll want to be sure you’re using an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend that contains xanthan gum. (These kinds of blends are often labeled 1:1, measure-for-measure, or cup-for-cup.) I highly recommend King Arthur Flour measure-for-measure gluten-free flour for this recipe since has a light, fluffy, golden finish and no weird aftertaste. My second fave is this one from Bob’s Red Mill, and my third pick is Cup4Cup.
- Baking Soda + Salt. To finish off the dry ingredients, you’ll use a mix of baking soda and salt. The flavors feel beautifully balanced and that light, fluffy texture is tough to beat!
- Quick Oats. I stir a few quick oats into my gluten-free banana muffin recipe (they add some substance while still keeping the muffins light), and then add a few on top right before they go into the oven to make them pretty.
- Mix-Ins (If You Want). These gluten-free muffins are tasty enough to stand on their own, but there are lots of ways you can change up this recipe with mix-ins, flavor twists, and toppings, like…
Here ARe A Few Ways To Try These Banana Muffins:
- ADD CHOCOLATE CHIPS. My go-to variation on these banana muffins is to add chocolate chips. Or you can try my slightly different banana chocolate chip muffin recipe that here.
- TRY CHOPPED NUTS. If you like nuts in your banana bread, try adding 3/4-1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to these gluten-free banana muffins. It’s DELICIOUS!
- STIR IN BLUEBERRIES. Or, experiment by making banana blueberry muffins! Add 3/4-1 cup fresh blueberries to the batter.
- DRIZZLE WITH PEANUT BUTTER. When I eat gluten-free banana oatmeal muffins for breakfast, I love drizzling or spreading a little peanut butter on top. It makes them a more filling option and the combination of banana + peanut butter is one of my favorites!
- ADD A FEW DROPS OF ALMOND EXTRACT. One of my favorite variations is to skip the cinnamon and add 1/2-1 tsp. almond extract along with the vanilla. It’s DELICIOUS!
- TRY THEM WITH CHAI SPICE. Swap out the cinnamon for a little of our chai spice mix. It adds a warm depth of flavor that’s delicious!
FAQ + Tips & Tricks For The Best Gluten-Free Banana Muffins:
THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR FOR GLUTEN-FREE BANANA MUFFINS: My all-time favorite gluten-free flour for muffins is King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Measure-for-Measure flour. It’s light, fluffy, and browns beautifully. My second favorite is Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour. If you use other brands, know that your results may vary slightly.
THE BEST MUFFIN LINERS EVER. Every time I share a muffin recipe, I share these parchment muffin cup liners. They are THE MOST nonstick liners ever. It’s rare that my muffins stick at all with these. If you use other paper liners, you may want to spray or mist them with spray oil first to help your muffins come out easily. Or…
OR, TRY THIS COMPLETELY NONSTICK MUFFIN PAN. Or, if you prefer to skip muffin liners, this silicone muffin pan is our favorite. The sides of your gluten-free banana oatmeal muffins won’t get quite as golden as they would in a metal pan, but they’ll pop right out of the muffin cups when they’re done baking!
A TIP FOR PRETTY BANANA MUFFINS. Any time I’m making muffins with toppings or mix-ins, I set aside a few tablespoons of the mix-ins (chocolate chips, nuts, etc.) to put on the muffins right before baking. That way they look extra pretty when they come out of the oven. It’s a simple trick, but that’s how so many bloggers and bakers make their muffins look so pretty!
CAN YOU USE FROZEN BANANAS FOR BANANA MUFFINS? Yes! I use this method to freeze bananas for baking, smoothies, and more, and they work really well here! It’s best to let the bananas thaw before baking with them. They will likely seep a bit of liquid. You can add it right along with the recipe or drain it off. Your choice!
HELPFUL TOOLS + INGREDIENTS FOR GLUTEN-FREE BANANA MUFFINS: