Simple, delicious, toddler-friendly grain free banana muffins.
Between Milo and Sophie, we’ve got texture issues with meats of all kinds (other than bacon), beans (refried or whole), eggs (scrambled, fried, boiled) and whole nuts. Neither child will eat bread spread with anything on it (so no peanut butter sandwiches), and no one will eat whole nuts.
My best successes come in the form of almond butter in banana “ice cream” (frozen bananas blended to soft-serve consistency with a little milk), these homemade fudgecicles, and a few varieties of homemade larabars (like these or these). I’ve really been struggling to get enough healthy fats and proteins into their little tummies.
Thank goodness for almond meal.
My babies love muffins, so these were a slam dunk. The almond butter and almond meal lend healthy fats and lots of great protein. They’re light, fluffy, and delicious. They freeze like a dream and make a great quick addition to breakfast or snacks. I hope you love them like we do!
I really would love to know, what do YOU use as your protein tricks?! My go-to’s were cheese sticks and Greek yogurt before we went gluten and dairy free. I’m just fine with nuts, eggs, beans, and some meat in my diet, but for my texture-sensitive little eaters… I’m stumped!
p.s. if you don’t have a mini-muffin pan, you can definitely bake these in a standard muffin pan. You’ll just need to bake them a bit longer.Print
Feel free to add in chocolate chips or chopped nuts, if you like!
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1c almond butter
- 1/4c coconut oil, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1c almond meal (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium bowl, stir bananas, almond butter, coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond extract (if using). Stir in almond meal, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop into greased or lined mini muffin pan, filling each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees 20-25 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Cool completely and enjoy!
Adapted from Amazing Paleo