Our easy house dressing recipe is the perfect homemade salad dressing for your favorite salads. Come for the simple ingredients and stay for the flavor!
Our healthy side salad kick continues today with our easy house salad dressing. While I have no issues with store-bought dressings, I love how easy it is to make your own salad dressings at home. We’ve covered classics like Ranch, Honey Mustard & Caesar Dressing, but today it’s all about our best House Dressing.
And, if you’re thinking, “what type of dressing is house dressing?” I’ve got you covered. House dressing is a nickname for restaurant-style dressing. (think: house specialty) In this case, I’m referring to a Mediterranean-style vinaigrette dressing, perfect for everyday salad.
The flavors are vibrant, fresh, and bright, perfect for green salads, quinoa salads, pasta salads, and more. (More on that in a minute!)
Beyond the amazing flavor, what I love best about this dressing is how simple the ingredients are. Here’s all you need to get started on this easy homemade salad dressing recipe…
Simple Ingredients For House Dressing:
Okay, so what is house salad dressing made of? SIMPLE INGREDIENTS! This easy vinaigrette dressing is made of mostly pantry staples + ONE fresh ingredient.
- Fresh Lemon Juice. I love starting with a base of fresh lemon juice. The brightness and tang make salads of all kinds taste more vibrant! Do NOT use bottled lemon juice here, or your dressing will be bitter. Check out the FAQ below for more.
- Red Wine Vinegar. Just a splash of vinegar helps round out the tangy flavor of this Italian-style vinaigrette.
- Dijon Mustard. Even if you’re not a mustard fan, don’t skip this ingredient! We’re adding a VERY small amount so it won’t dominate the flavor. Instead, the dijon mustard acts as an emulsifier to help the dressing blend better.
- Dried Oregano. It’s amazing what just a little dried oregano can do for this homemade salad dressing! Feel free to swap in fresh herbs instead if you’ve got them.
- Salt & Pepper. Plenty of kosher salt and black pepper balance the flavors. Don’t skimp!
- Olive Oil. Last, but not least is some good quality extra virgin olive oil.
How To MAke House Dressing, Step By Step:
- Juice The Lemons. If you haven’t already, squeeze and measure the fresh lemon juice, removing any seeds.
- Combine. Add lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, oregano, salt, and pepper to a mason jar or small bowl. Whisk to combine until well blended.
- Whisk In Olive Oil. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while you whisk. Adding the oil gradually helps you incorporate it better.
- Taste & Adjust. Then, taste the dressing. Add additional salt, pepper, herbs or lemon juice, if desired.
- Serve & Store. Store dressing in an airtight container, glass jar, or bottle for best results! Enjoy on your favorite green salad, pasta salad, or quinoa salad. Dressing will keep up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Keep In Mind: It is normal for homemade salad dressing to separate in the fridge. You can shake or whisk it again to quickly re-combine it.
Delicious Ways tO Use House Salad Dressing:
One thing I love about this easy homemade dressing is all the delicious ways there are to use it! You can use it on your favorite salad, but a few of my favorite ways to use it are…
- Green Salad. Always! This dressing is the perfect match for a crisp green salad like our Classic House Salad Recipe, made with romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and gluten-free croutons!
- Quinoa Salad. Or, drizzle it over a quinoa salad. It adds so much flavor!
- Arugula Salad. Elegant & classic, our Parmesan Arugula Salad is lovely with this delicious dressing.
- Pasta Salad. House dressing is a great option for Pasta Salad! We love it with Mediterranean-style mix-ins and fresh vegetables!
- Marinating Chicken. Yes, really! This house vinaigrette makes a great chicken marinade! Add boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs to a bag with this marinade and marinate 2 hours or so in the fridge. Drain & discard the marinade, then grill or cook the chicken. It makes for seriously flavorful main dish!
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best House Dressing:
How Long Does House Dressing Last In The Fridge? Most homemade dressings keep about 1 week in the refrigerator. Store dressing in an airtight container, glass jar, or bottle for best results!
Can I Make House Dressing Without Lemon Juice? Yes, though I do love the flavor of lemon! You can swap in more red wine vinegar instead, or use white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Do NOT use plain white vinegar (it’s too strong!)
Try Adding Xanthan Gum. If you keep it on hand (like for gluten-free baking projects), adding 1/8 teaspoon or so of xanthan gum will help keep the dressing from separating. Whisk it in with the extra-virgin olive oil.
Variations To Try:
Once you’ve mastered the basic ingredients/basic recipe, you can play around with the flavors. Here are a few great options for next time you’re craving some variety…
- Try Adding Zest. For more lemon flavor, add a little lemon zest! 1/2 teaspoon is plenty!
- Try It With Parmesan! If you want a more Italian house dressing, try adding some grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese. It’s DELICIOUS and really plays up those mediterranean notes.
- Try It With Fresh Herbs! If you have any fresh herbs on hand, this house vinaigrette is a great way to use them! Fresh basil, fresh parsley, fresh dill, and fresh oregano are all lovely!
- Try Adding Garlic. For a punchy garlic flavor, add 1 clove minced garlic along with the dijon mustard and seasonings.
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star rating and comment below when you make our Easy House Salad Dressing recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print