Instant Pot Gluten-Free Pasta – This easy one-pot dinner comes together in a flash. Perfect for busy nights or when you’re too tired to cook! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
I said “amen!” out loud the other day when I saw a meme about how this feels like A LOT of days in a row to cook dinner.
It kinda does…
I LOVE cooking, LOVE fun cooking projects in the kitchen, and I’m also feeling a little bit like “again!?” every day when dinnertime rolls around. So…I’ve been striking a bit of a balance between “wow! I’ve got time to make something that takes a little longer–fun!” and “….what can I make that takes basically no effort/time/brainpower?”
This Instant Pot gluten-free pasta is perfect for the second one. It takes minimal effort to put together, and the is pasta perfectly cooked without any watching the stove or waiting for water to boil. Also, it turns out that cooking everything together in an Instant Pot does something magic to the sauce. It’s velvety smooth and the flavors intensify in an amazing way.
Basically, this Instant Pot gluten-free pasta is your new busy night or “too tired to cook” night best friend. Here’s all you need to get started…
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED FOR INSTANT POT PASTA WITH SAUSAGE & SAUCE
GROUND SAUSAGE (OR NOT!). I like to use a little bit of Italian or ground sausage to flavor the pasta. A little goes a long way since it’s already well-seasoned. Pork, chicken, or turkey sausage all work. (If you’d rather use ground beef, turkey, or chicken, see the FAQ!) You can also easily leave the sausage out for a vegan option!
GLUTEN-FREE BROWN RICE PENNE OR ROTINI. I use this method for gluten-free rotini (spirals, sometimes sold as fusilli) or gluten-free penne (tube shapes). The timing of this recipe is meant for gluten-free brown rice pasta. Corn, rice, or quinoa-based pasta will cook at different times, as will different shapes, so keep that in mind if you plan to use something else.
WATER. To help cook the pasta, I add some water, which gets absorbed during cooking. (Seriously–it’s magic!)
EXTRAS: FRESH BASIL, SPINACH, OR CHEESE. Then, you can garnish this any way you like. Sprinkle with fresh basil, stir in some fresh spinach, or cover with shredded cheese–your choice!
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR PERFECT INSTANT POT GLUTEN-FREE PASTA:
WHAT SIZE INSTANT POT DO I NEED FOR INSTANT POT PASTA? I have the 6-Quart size and LOVE it. It’s been perfect for everything from dried beans, to steel-cut oats, to big batches of chili and more.
MY FAVORITE GLUTEN-FREE PASTA + SAUCE. Again, we use brown rice gluten-free pasta for this recipe. My favorite is Jovial brand, and my second favorite is Tinkyada. They’re great quality and have great texture. For sauce, I like looking for something without added sugar, like Rao’s, DeLallo, or Thrive Market brand.
DIFFERENT PASTA SHAPES COOK FOR DIFFERENT TIMES! This Instant Pot gluten-free pasta recipe is meant to be used with rotini or penne–pasta varieties that typically cook 11-13 minutes on the stovetop. If you’re using a different kind of pasta or a shape with a different cook time, you may need to play with the timing.
WANT A VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN VERSION? Just skip the sausage! You’ll still use the same ratios of pasta, sauce, and water. When I make meatless Instant Pot Gluten Free Pasta, I like adding spinach for some extra oomph.
IF YOU USE GROUND BEEF OR TURKEY INSTEAD OF SAUSAGE. If you’d rather use ground meat than ground sausage, feel free! You’ll still saute it at the beginning, but you’ll want to compensate for the lack of spices. I recommend adding in a little oregano and garlic, or some Italian seasoning.
HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE, START-TO-FINISH? You’ll brown the sausage for 5-7 minutes. Then, the pasta will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, 8 minutes to cook, and 2 minutes to quick-release the steam, so 20 minutes for the pasta.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY DINNER IDEAS? YOU MIGHT LIKE…
- Italian Chopped Salad with Italian Dressing
- Super Easy 4-Ingredient Lasagna
- Chicken & Veggie Risotto
- Vegetarian Taco Pasta
- Black Bean Polenta Bowls
- Gluten-Free Chili Mac
HELPFUL FOR THIS INSTANT POT PASTA RECIPE:
Instant Pot Gluten-Free Pasta – This easy one-pot dinner comes together in a flash. Perfect for busy nights or days when you’re too tired to cook! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
(FYI: 8-10 min to come to pressure + 8 min to cook + 1-2 min to quick-release steam)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. ground sausage (pork, chicken, or turkey)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (24oz) jar marinara sauce or 3 cups of your favorite pasta sauce
- 12 oz. gluten-free brown rice rotini or penne pasta (like Jovial or Tinkyada)
- Optional: spinach or basil, to garnish.
- Press SAUTE button on Instant Pot.
- Add olive oil and sausage and cook on SAUTE mode 5-7 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through. (If desired, drain any excess fat.)
- Pour in 1 cup of the water and stir, using your spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in marinara sauce and stir to combine well.
- Add pasta and push down gently, to tuck the noodles into the sauce.
- Pour the remaining cup of water over the top of the pasta, so it’s all covered.
- Secure the lid and double-check that the pressure valve is set to SEALING (not VENTING)
- Press CANCEL to stop SAUTE mode, then Press MANUAL PRESSURE and set the timer for 8 minutes. (It will take the Instant Pot 8-10 minutes to come up to pressure)
- After it’s cooked 8 minutes, carefully quick-release the steam by switching the pressure valved to VENTING.
- When the floater valve has dropped, carefully open the Instant Pot lid and gently stir the pasta
- Feel free to stir in spinach or fresh basil, or sprinkle with cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Gluten Free Pasta, Pressure Cooker Gluten-Free Pasta