Instant Pot Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oats – This creamy pumpkin steel-cut oatmeal is so easy to make in the Instant Pot. It’s a delicious warm breakfast that’s worth waking up for any day of the week. (Gluten-Free, Vegan-Friendly)
After a blazing summer, I’m feeling SO ready for fall, even if I have to fake it with food since the weather isn’t *quite* ready to cooperate. 😜 It’s still too hot in the evenings for too many heavier, heartier dinners, but I can juuuust almost fake fall weather at breakfast.
Enter: Instant Pot Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oats!
These Instant Pot Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oats have been a favorite breakfast for me lately. With their cozy texture, and a blend of warm spices that make your house smell like heaven, they’re a delightful way to start the day any day of the week! Best of all, they’re mostly hands-off, which is always a win in my book!
Here’s all you need to get started on this yummy pumpkin steel-cut oatmeal…
Here’s What You’ll Need For Our Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats:
- An Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker! We love this 6-quart Instant Pot. It works for recipes big and small and is one of the more affordable models!
- Unsweetened Pumpkin Puree. You want unsweetened pumpkin puree, NOT pre-made pumpkin pie filling for pumpkin steel cut oatmeal.
- Pure Maple Syrup. Our Instant Pot pumpkin steel cut oats are naturally sweetened with maple syrup. I love the gentle sweet note it gives!
- Vanilla Extract. Some vanilla extract pairs beautifully with the spices. I love it!
- Cinnamon + Spices. I use a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. It’s warm and lovely with the pumpkin!
- Salt. A tiny bit of salt helps balance the flavors and keeps this dish from feeling flat. Try not to skip it!
- Almond Milk (Or Your Favorite Milk). Unsweetened almond milk is our go-to for Instant Pot steel-cut oats, but you can certainly use whatever your family drinks and loves.
- Butter or Vegan Butter (if you want). Kind of a secret ingredient! Just a touch adds so much to the texture and flavor. I love it.
- Steel-Cut Oats (Gluten-Free, If Needed). Last, but not least, you’ll need oats! These Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oats have such gorgeous texture and flavor. So hearty and delicious this time of year. Don’t forget to buy certified gluten-free oats, if needed!
How to Make Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats, Step-By-Step:
- In your Instant Pot, combine pumpkin puree, maple syrup, butter/vegan butter (if using), vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt.
- Whisk to combine, then add the almond milk. Whisk to incorporate the milk.
- Stir in the steel cut oats, making sure to stir well (this will prevent a burn notice)
- Secure the lid, and double check that the pressure valve is set to SEALING (not “venting”).
- Cook on manual/high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release 15-20 minutes.
- Quick release any remaining pressure by carefully moving the pressure valve to the VENTING position.
- Carefully open the lid, then stir the oatmeal to combine.
- Let the pumpkin steel cut oats rest for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. The oats will continue to absorb the liquid and thicken.
- Serve warm in bowls with additional milk, pure maple syrup, pecans, or any other desired toppings.
The Best Toppings For Instant Pot Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats.
- Milk. I usually finish my Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oats with a drizzle of milk. The cool milk is a nice contrast with the warm oats!
- Pure Maple Syrup. I also love a little drizzle of maple syrup. The oats themselves are lightly sweetened so you can finish them off with just a bit more before serving. So good!
- Brown Sugar. If you prefer, brown sugar is also a great pairing. Michael loves his with brown sugar on top instead of syrup. You do you!
- Toasted Pecans or Walnuts. I love a bit of crunch, so some toasted pecans or walnuts can be delicious on top of the creamy Instant Pot Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oats.
- Pumpkin Seeds. Or, keep it nut free with pumpkin seeds. Yum!
- Dried Cranberries. Cranberries and pumpkin are super great friends, so feel free to add some dried cranberries to your bowl!
- Mini Chocolate Chips. My kids LOVE pumpkin and chocolate together (like this Pumpkin Swirl Bread or these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins). A few mini chocolate chips on top of their bowls channels that same yummy flavor into their pumpkin steel-cut oats!
- A Dollop of Yogurt. My cousin always dollops yogurt on her oatmeal. I tried it once and really liked it!
- Cranberry Sauce. An idea to keep in mind as the cold months press on. If you’ve got leftover cranberry sauce, it’s actually *really* good on top of oatmeal!
- Whipped Cream. Feeling fun or fancy? Add whipped cream to channel pumpkin pie vibes!
FAQ + Tips and Tricks For The Best Instant Pot Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats:
Can I Use Pumpkin Spice Here Instead? Absolutely! If you want to use pumpkin spice for your Instant Pot pumpkin steel-cut oats, feel free to use 1 1/2-2 tsp. pumpkin spice instead of the cinnamon/nutmeg/cardamom combination I’ve used below.
Would This Work With Rolled Oats? The cook times for these two kinds of oats are different, so I wouldn’t recommend swapping them here unless you play with the cook-time a bit.
Can I Use Quick-Cooking Steel-Cut Oats? Not for this recipe. I’m sorry! They need different amounts of liquid and different cook times.
Gluten-Free? Be Sure To Use Certified Gluten-Free Oats! Oats themselves don’t contain gluten, but they are often farmed or processed in ways that cause cross contamination. If you are gluten intolerant or have celiac disease, be sure to buy certified gluten-free steel-cut oats, like One Degree or Bob’s Red Mill.
How to Reheat Leftover Steel-Cut Oats. One of the best things about steel-cut oats is that they reheat like a dream! Add a drizzle of milk and re-warm them in the microwave (30-60 seconds) or in a saucepan on the stovetop for a few minutes. Works like a charm!