Key Lime Pie Popsicles – These creamy lime popsicles taste like a slice of your favorite key lime pie! Made from healthy ingredients, they’re the perfect summer treat! (Gluten-Free & Vegan-Friendly)
We made it to the end of Popsicle Week! Which recipe has been your favorite flavor so far?
Today’s popsicle is maybe my favorite of the whole bunch: Key Lime Pie Popsicles!
These healthy key lime pie popsicles have all the favor I love in classic key lime pie (a fresh, sweet-tart filling + graham cracker crust), but here we’ll turn it into a creamy key lime pie smoothie and swirl in graham cracker “crust” crumbles. The end result is DELICIOUS.
While most of the popsicles in this week’s lineup fall clearly into the “fun, healthy snack” category, our key lime pie popsicles lean a bit more toward “healthy treat.” We LOVE this frozen treat so much on a hot day! And, just like our other homemade popsicle recipes, these key lime pie popsicles are SUPER easy to make.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started on this tangy lime popsicle recipe…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO OUR HEALTHY KEY LIME PIE POPSICLES:
- Plain Yogurt (Dairy-Free or Dairy). Rather than using sweetened condensed milk like you would for a pie, we’ll start these key lime pie popsicles with a base of plain Greek yogurt. Dairy-free and dairy yogurts all work for this recipe. (Scroll down to see some of our favorite dairy-free options if you need them!)
- Coconut Milk. Next up is some coconut milk. I recommend full-fat canned coconut milk here to ensure that your lime popsicles have a velvety, creamy texture. If you use low-fat/lite or the chilled coconut milks that come in cartons, your pops will be more icy than creamy.
- Fresh Lime Juice. I work a double dose of lime flavor into these lime popsicles, and that starts with fresh lime juice. Bottled lime juice will NOT work here, as it’ll add a sharp and bitter taste. Fresh only, please. Also, you can use traditional limes or key limes. (I can only rarely find key limes where I live.)
- Honey or Agave. Just like with key lime pie, we want to strike the balance of sweet + tart. We’ll take the edge off the tartness of the lime juice with honey or agave. You can trust your tastebuds here, so if you want to start with less sweetener or need to add more, go for it!
- Lime Zest. Next is lime zest. You’ll get concentrated lime flavor from the natural oils in the peel here, which makes for the BEST flavor! I recommend a microplane zester for getting your lime zest. Remember not to get the white pith! You only want the green peel.
- Vanilla Extract. A splash of vanilla makes these almost taste like ice cream. I love it!
- Graham Crackers + Butter or Vegan Butter. For the graham cracker crumbles, you’ll crush up some graham crackers and mix them with butter or vegan butter. I LOVE this textural contrast SO MUCH.
HOW TO MAKE POPSICLES WITHOUT A POPSICLE MOLD:
If you don’t have a popsicle mold or can’t get one (I get it!), here’s how to make a popsicle in a cup:
- Set out 3 oz. paper cups (they work best) or small plastic/melamine cups.
- Fill the cups Pour the popsicle mixture into the cups (you’ll need to adjust a bit for size), leaving a bit of room for the popsicles to expand in the freezer.
- Cover the cups with foil and insert a popsicle stick. (The foil keeps the sticks in place)
- Place cups on a cutting board, tray, or plate for stability and freeze as directed. (Remember that your popsicles may take longer to freeze depending on how wide & deep your cups are.)
- When they’re frozen, remove the foil and peel away the paper cup! (Or run the outside of a plastic cup under cold water for a few seconds to loosen and wiggle the stick side to side to remove it from the cup.)
GLUTEN-FREE + DAIRY-FREE + VEGAN OPTIONS FOR THESE KEY LIME POPS:
GLUTEN-FREE GRAHAM CRACKERS:
- Pamela’s Gluten-Free Graham Crackers. I suggest their honey variety. These have the best flavor, but they do contain butter. Skip them if you’re strictly dairy-free or if you’re vegan!
- Kinnikinnick S’moreables Graham Crackers. This brand is a little easier to find at places like Sprouts, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers. They’re a bit thick, but my kids like them! They’re also gluten-free AND vegan!
- Nairns Gluten-Free Oat Grahams. These gluten-free & vegan graham crackers come in little packets (great for packing on the go!) and have an almost British biscuit feel. We really like them. (I get them at Sprouts!)
- Schar Honeygrams. My kids are hit and miss on these, but I LOVE them for GF s’mores!
- Kinnikinnick Kritters Animal Crackers. We usually use these for a snack, but their graham flavor can totally work for these key lime pie popsicles!
DAIRY-FREE & VEGAN YOGURT:
- Culina, CoYo, and So Delicious, are 3 of our favorite brands, but brands like Chobani, Yoplait, and Siggi’s all have dairy-free options these days!
FAQ + TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST KEY LIME PIE POPSICLES:
THE BEST POPSICLE MOLD. We’ve tried lots of molds for making frozen treats over the years, but we think this popsicle mold by Norpro is the best. It has 10 slots, sturdy construction (so it stays upright better in the freezer!) and has a lid to hold the sticks in place. It also comes in silicone versions, but I find these can sometimes hold onto scents and flavors.
HOW TO GET POPSICLES OUT OF THE POPSICLE MOLD: Run each well of your popsicle mold under cold water for a few seconds, then jiggle the sticks side to side to loosen the pops. (Run the mold under water again if they’re still not loosening.)
CAN I USE REGULAR LIMES INSTEAD OF KEY LIMES? I basically always do, and most commercially-made key lime pies actually use traditional limes instead of key limes these days. I know that it’s technically just “lime pie popsicles” if I’m not using key limes, but I know not everyone has access to key limes. If you can find them, use them! If not, feel free to use traditional limes.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KEY LIMES & REGULAR LIMES? Learn more about the differences, similarities, and how to substitute them for each other here.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE GLUTEN-FREE GRAHAM CRACKERS? I’ve got a big list in this post of our favorite store-bought gluten-free snacks! I’ve also linked our favorites in the section above this one.
WHAT ARE THE BEST VEGAN GRAHAM CRACKERS? This list of vegan graham crackers is really helpful whether you’re gluten-free & vegan or just vegan. If you need gluten-free AND vegan graham crackers, we recommend Kinnikinnick or Nairns. You can also make your own!
MORE YUMMY POPSICLES TO FALL IN LOVE WITH:
- Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles (My Most Popular Popsicle Recipe!)
- Dole Whip Popsicles (Vegan + Paleo!)
- HealthyChocolate Peanut Butter Popsicles (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Lava Flow Popsicles (Creamy Pineapple Swirled with Fresh Strawberry!)
- Mango Passion Fruit Popsicles (That Taste Like a Tropical Vacation)
SHOP OUR FAVORITE TOOLS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE POPSICLES:
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star review and comment below when you make our Healthy Key Lime Pie Popsicles recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print