I’m so excited to finally get to share this recipe with you! I’ve had it ready for weeks, but things kept popping up and it kept getting bumped back in the queue. It’s amazing. This Pumpkin Taco Soup was so good that Milo (my not-yet two-year-old) asked for another bowl of soup over a birthday cupcake. For real.
We’ve made it twice in the last few weeks (once to freeze), and it’s come out so great! It’s a cinch to throw together, and with the programmable options of the slow cooker, you can keep it warm all day long as soon as it’s finished. It’ll just get better with time!
In case you’re a bit nervous about pumpkin in your savory soup, it’s not a predominant flavor here. The pumpkin adds a great silkiness, beautiful color, and a heaping dose of vitamins to the soup. The other seasonings work together to give it just the taco soup flavor you’re looking for, with plenty of punch for the adults, but not too strong for little eaters. I think it’s just right.
The broth is really incredible. I think it just gets such a great flavor, and fills you right up in your happy place. An extra dose of protein from that delicious, tender chicken, and you’ve got something special. It would also make a great quick dinner for Halloween–something light but substantial and NOT sugar-filled to fuel you up for the evening. It’s the best!
Tips for little eaters:
- My kids prefer smooth soups. I like to pull out the chicken, puree some of the soup, then serve the chicken on the side. Milo loves chicken, but prefers smooth soup, so this way he can eat both parts. You can also use this trick if you prefer your soup on the thicker side. Puree up to half of the soup, then stir it into the rest of the soup.
- I’ve shared this a lot, but we swear by Asian soup spoons. They’re flat and easier to slurp from, which is perfect for little ones just learning the motion of eating soup from a spoon. I actually use them myself–I spill less!
Like this recipe? You might like:
- Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Paleo Sweet Potato Chili
- Slow Cooker Thai Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1 (28oz) can (or two 14oz cans) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14oz) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or you could use chicken broth/bone broth)
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped, plus more to serve
- Place everything in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours. Shred the chicken into the soup and serve with extra cilantro to garnish.