Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili – This paleo & whole30-frindly dish is sure to be a favorite! It doesn’t get much easier than the slow cooker!
While it may be best in the thick of sweater weather, chili was in our homes all year round. Before the responsibility of summer jobs came on the scene, my summers were full of hours and hours of swimming interspersed with lots of reading. We worked up big appetites, and chili was an awesome way to end the day, usually with crispy, salty corn chips.
This isn’t my mom’s chili recipe, but we love it. Meaty and thick with a great blend of spices and a tiny bit of sweetness from the sweet potato. Pair it with a salad and a side of fruit for dinner, or tuck it into a lunchbox for fantastic lunches throughout the week.
Notes on the Recipe:
Plenty! This recipe makes plenty. We freeze half and pull it out on a rainy day.
Need a slow cooker? We love this one. You can set a timer and it comes with clips to keep the lid in place (which means no spills if you’re carting it to a friend’s house or potluck).
Swaps and substitutions. You can absolutely make this with turkey or chicken if you prefer. It all works!
Like this post? You might also like…
- The Perfect Classic Chili (Paleo & Whole30)
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Taco Soup (Paleo & Whole3o!)
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken (Paleo & Whole30)
Some people prefer being able to drain the fat from their beef before adding it to the pan. If that’s you, follow the browning step listed below. If you’ve bought lean meat (or don’t mind the fat–I don’t!), feel free to add all your ingredients at once!
- 2lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (14oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14oz) can petite minced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3–4 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- optional: cilantro, for garnish.
If you want to drain the fat:
- In a saute pan, brown beef over medium heat until cooked through. Drain excess fat. Transfer cooked beef to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on SLOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours. Stir to break up the meat and serve warm! Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on SLOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours. Stir to break up the meat and serve warm! Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- Category: soup, chili
- Method: slow cooker