Creamy Avocado Ranch – It’s everything I love about ranch dressing and avocados.
It’s an awesome dip for veggies or topping for salads. We love it! (Scroll down for the video!)
I got a shipment of avocados from California Avocados last week and it made my month! 24 beautiful avocados all to myself. Besides loads and loads of guacamole and plenty of rainbow lunch bowls, it was really only a matter of time before Avocado Ranch Dressing happened. And guys…. I want it on everything.
SOPHIE LIKES IT!
As for Milo, he was really excited for some “smoothie” (he thought it was this one) at dinner and was so mad at me when he discovered it was salad dressing. (Ha!) Ah, well. Can’t win ’em all.
It’s also awesome over taco salad, mixed into a Cobb or big dinner salad, or used as a dip for your lunch bowl. It’s been getting all of those uses at our house now that I’m several batches in, and I’m definitely planning to eat some more soon. Like, as soon as I’m done with this post.
Notes on the Recipe:
Fit your dietary needs. This recipe can be vegan or paleo (or anywhere in between) depending on what ranch dressing you use. My favorite vegannaise is Just Mayo (it’s awesome), and my favorite paleo friendly mayo is either homemade or Primal Kitchen mayo, which is made with avocado oil. Choose your own dietary adventure!
Tools of the Trade. You can make this in a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender. I prefer a blender or with the immersion blender for the smoothest texture. See my favorites here.
How long will it keep? Short answer: somewhere between 2-4 days. Since there’s avocado involved, you’ll want to use it more quickly than other salad dressings. The more lime juice you use, the longer it will keep. My other secret is pressing plastic wrap onto the surface of the dressing and then putting a lid over it. The plastic wraps helps keep it from oxidizing (browning).
Like this recipe? You might also like…
- The BEST Paleo Mayo + Ranch
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- My Ultimate Guide to Guacamole
- Cafe Rio Copycat Sweet & Spicy Pork
- BLT Chicken Salad Avocado Cups
I like mine on the more heavily herbed side, but if you’re nervous, start small. Similarly, you can add more or less milk as desired, depending on how thick you’d like your ranch. I like it thicker for dipping and thinner for drizzling.
- 1 avocado, peel and pit removed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or vegannaise
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk (I use canned coconut milk – and no, it doesn’t add coconut flavor)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh dill (or 1-2 tsp dried)
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste (add plenty!)
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Puree until completely smooth. Taste and add more herbs, salt, or pepper, to taste.
- (You can also make this with an immersion blender)
- To store, transfer to an airtight container. Press plastic wrap onto the surface, then seal with the lid. (The plastic wrap will keep it from browning). Ranch will keep in the refrigerator 2-4 days.