Made with juicy, sweet peaches and a blend of raspberries and blueberries, this Peach Berry Crisp is going to make your summer. (Gluten free and vegan to boot!)
We went peach picking a few weekends ago. It’s early, but there’s a little orchard not too far away, and, in the desert heat, peach season comes and goes before you can blink. We were a bit overzealous. That is, Sophie was a bit overzealous. So we got home with a heavy box of peaches just aching to be put to good use.
We ate lots of them in their juicy ripe goodness. But they were fading fast, and there was no freezer space for them. It’s times like these that call for delicious measures. Peach Berry Crisp sorts of measures.
This was my first time making a gluten free & vegan crisp. We went through several trials before we landed on the balance we liked. I tried for something grain free (sans oatmeal), but I just couldn’t get over the nagging feeling that something was in it. So I tossed the oats back in. Mixed in with some almond meal, sliced almonds, and our other favorite mix-ins. Even though it’s vegan, the topping came out somehow buttery, and tender.
Topped with a little vanilla (coconut milk) ice cream, this peach berry crisp tastes just like summer should. And if you don’t have fresh peaches, frozen ones work like a dream. We’ve tried with frozen and fresh berries and peaches. Both work like a dream!
- 3 cups sliced peaches
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour (sometimes sold as tapioca starch)
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1½ cups oats (gluten free, as needed)
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 3-4 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- Toss all ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour into an 8x8" square baking dish. Set aside while you make topping
- In a small bowl, combine oats, almonds, almond meal, and 3 Tbsp coconut oil, with vanilla and salt. If mixture is a bit dry, add a little more coconut oil. Sprinkle mixture over the fruit filling. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with ice cream.