It’s almost Cinco de Mayo! Here are a few Cinco de Mayo recipes to kick off your Tex-Mex fiesta. We’ve got something for everyone!
I’m having serious issues with it being May THIS WEEK. For some reason, it’s blowing my mind that we’re almost into the FIFTH month of the year. Still, May has lots of fun things in store: Michael finishing the first year of his double MBA program, the start of the summer internship (yay!), the Kentucky Derby, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, and Cinco de Mayo!
There are a lot of things we love about living in the Southwest. One of them is access to LOTS of Tex-Mex foods. I don’t claim to have an authentic Mexican cooking bone in my body, but I sure love Tex-Mex. In case you need some inspiration for your Cinco de Mayo dinner next week, I thought I’d share a few favorites. We’ve got something for everyone–gluten free or not, Paleo or vegan, and even some Whole30 approved recipes for the squeaky-cleanest eaters.
1. Mango Guacamole Chicken Wraps – Mango guacamole might just change your life. Whether you eat it in these wraps or put it on something (anything) else, it’s a delicious savory-sweet combination you’re bound to love. (GF option, DF)
2. Chile Verde Sauce – Put it on anything. Seriously. Toss some cooked or grilled fish in it for quick fish tacos, drizzle it over your burrito bowl, or even serve it with eggs! (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
3.Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas – Michael’s birthday dinner two years running. He lives and breathes for these carnitas. Serve them in tacos, as a taco salad, or over chips for nachos. (GF, DF, Paleo option, Whole30 option)
4. Guacamole – Our basic chip dip recipe. Simple and tasty. (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
6. Sweet & Spicy Pork – Sweet and spicy at it’s finest. Not too too hot for mild eaters, but plenty of flavor to keep things interesting. We love this in burrito bowls with cilantro lime rice or in a big taco salad with lots of lettuce and veggies. (GF, DF)
7. Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos with Citrus Slaw – A light, citrus-y taco that won’t take forever to make. (GF, DF)
9. Pineapple Guacamole – There are very few things pineapple doesn’t make better. This guacamole is no exception. Get a good pineapple and it might just change your life. Use it as a dip, or top just about anything with it. (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
10. Lime Watermelon – This was such a game changer for me last summer. It’s also a dinner-saver if the watermelon you chose isn’t quite perfect. (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
11. Caramelized Onion, Black Bean & Mango Quesadillas – Another delicious way to change up your favorites. Quesadillas (in some form or another) used to be a regular part of our dinner rotation. These ones are delicious! (GF option)
12. Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burritos – Great whether you’re meatless or a meat lover. Full of flavor, just spicy enough… they might just change your mind about sweet potatoes. (GF, DF option, Vegan option)
13. Green Chile Pork Burritos – These take a bit of planning ahead, but the end result is tasty and worth it!
14. Salsa Verde Chicken Chili – One of my favorite soups of last year. Admittedly, not very authentic, but certainly sends the right Tex-Mex vibe. (GF, DF)
15. Mexican Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa & Black Beans – The all-time most popular recipe on the blog. If you haven’t tried these yet, this is a great opportunity. Also, if you can, do take the time to make your own enchilada sauce. It makes SUCH a difference. (GF, DF option, Vegan option)
Happy Cinco de Mayo-ing! What are you making this year?