Baked Chicken Taquitos – Homemade taquitos are so easy! We love these crispy, crunchy chicken taquitos. The filling is so good! (gluten free, dairy free)
I’ve been craving a taco night for ages, but both kids find tacos too frustrating to eat (everything falls out of the tortilla or taco shell!). My solution: taquitos!
I was BLOWN away by how easy and delicious they are!!! I loved the crispy exterior and flavorful filling. When they’re tightly rolled, the filling stays put (which means no frustration) and they’re so easy to dip. Try them with fresh salsa, guacamole, creamy ranch, or citrus avocado dip.
Whether you serve these at a party as an appetizer, or make a dinner out of them, they’re sure to be a hit!
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
- HOW TO KEEP YOUR TORTILLAS FROM TEARING – Warm them up first! I’ve written this into the instructions, but it’s a step worth taking. I wrap my tortillas (about 6 at a time) in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 30 seconds. If you prefer, you could probably heat them on the stovetop, but you’d need to work really quickly to fill and roll them right after heating.
- YOU CAN FREEZE THESE! I’ve found they freeze best when they’re already cooked. That way, the tortillas don’t get as brittle when thawing. I freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet or plate (so they don’t all stick together in a giant clump). When they’re solid, I transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. Use within 2 months. To reheat, I prefer to pop them in the oven for a bit. Set the oven to 375 and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until heated through.
- WHAT ABOUT OTHER FILLINGS? The method is as easy as can be. If you prefer, you can do half chicken and half black beans. Or, you can use cooked ground or shredded beef (like the beef from these slow cooker beef carnitas) instead of the chicken. Feel free to mix in other veggies or meats, just be sure not to over-stuff them or they’ll tear.
You Might Also Love…
- Chicken Zucchini Poppers (another easy party food!)
- Our Favorite Fresh Salsa
- My Ultimate Guide to Guacamole
- Citrus Avocado Dip
- Creamy Avocado Ranch
- 2½ - 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ⅛-1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder, optional (this will give them some kick!)
- 3-4 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon your favorite salsa (red or green)
- about 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- olive oil or cooking spray
- Make filling by stirring together chicken, spices, cilantro, and salsa. Stir to combine. The mixture should not be very wet (they'll roll better and stay together better if the filling isn't very wet).
- To assemble, warm tortillas slightly (I wrap 6 at a time in a damp paper towel or kitchen cloth and microwave about 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can wrap them in a damp towel and put them in a warm oven for about 5 minutes or so, or individually warm them in a pan on the stovetop.
- For each taquito, spoon 3-4 Tbsp of chicken mixture down the center of the tortilla. Gently roll up as tightly as you can and place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- When all taquitos are rolled, brush the tops with a little olive oil or mist lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 degrees 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to brown. Serve with your favorite salsa, guacamole, or taco toppings!