The BEST Way to Mix Natural Peanut Butter – This is the easiest method of mixing the nut butter ever we’ve tried (and we’ve tried a lot!).
We eat a lot of peanut butter and nut butter at our house. It’s such an easy building block for a meal, snack, or treat, and is one of those staples we always seem to have on hand.
We like to use natural peanut butter (which contains JUST peanuts or just peanuts and salt), which tastes incredible, doesn’t have any added sugars, oils, or preservatives, and has a gorgeous texture that’s tough to beat.
It’s one downfall is that usually comes separated (the natural oils from the peanuts separate from the peanut solids), so you have to mix it before you can use it.
I’ve tried mixing my peanut butter and nut butter in LOTS of ways over the years…
- Dumping the whole thing out and using a spoon or fork
- Immersion Blenders
- Stand Mixers
and NONE of these methods was as easy as I hoped it would be. Several methods (like blenders + stand mixers) also required a lot of time washing dishes.
So, what’s the best way to mix natural peanut butter? It’s easy and only involves washing ONE utensil…
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO MIX NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER?
In my tests (whisking, spoons, forks, immersion blenders, stand mixers, etc.) nothing did as thorough a job or used fewer dishes than using a HAND MIXER with ONE BEATER ATTACHMENT.
I LOVE this method because there’s just ONE dish to wash (the beater, which I can rinse + toss in my dishwasher!), it goes pretty quickly, and it keeps the peanut butter mixed longer than most other methods I’ve tried.
It’s EASY to do, and I’ll walk you through every step…
HOW TO MIX PEANUT BUTTER WITH A HAND MIXER
If this is your first time mixing peanut butter this way, you may appreciate having someone else hold the jar while you carefully do the mixing. Otherwise, just go slow and hold on tight!
ALSO: Every hand mixer has different speed settings. I’m using this hand mixer on the lowest setting. I recommend testing how fast your mixer goes on the lowest setting before you insert it into the peanut butter.
- Insert one beater into a hand mixer. (I LOVE this one!)
- Open the peanut butter (or nut butter)
- Without turning it on, insert the beater into the peanut butter and press it all the way down to the bottom. Bring it up and down a few times to start loosening up the peanut butter.
- Press the beater all the way down to the bottom and hold the jar tightly in one hand. (This can be easier if you have another person to hold the jar while one person mixes. If you don’t have a strong grip, I recommend having a partner hold the jar for you.)
- While holding the jar with one hand, use the other hand to carefully start the hand mixer on the LOWEST setting.
- Gently move the beater around the bottom of the jar.
- When you feel the peanut butter loosening up, you can carefully start to lift the beater a little at a time to incorporate the peanut butter in the center of the jar.
- Turn off the hand mixer and carefully stir the peanut butter to see if it’s all blended.
- Continue mixing if needed, then cover with the lid and enjoy!
YUMMY WAYS TO USE ALL THAT NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER:
- SPREAD ON TOAST. Add some bananas, blueberries, or sliced strawberries + a drizzle of honey. Try one of the versions in this 6 Yummy Toast Ideas post!
- NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BARS. These taste like peanut butter cups and only take a few ingredients!
- APPLE NACHOS. Apple slices drizzled with peanut or nut butter & sprinkled with goodies makes a delicious, fun snack!
- SPOONED ONTO OATMEAL. These Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats are a good place to start!
- HEALTHY NO-BAKE COOKIES. All the chocolate peanut butter flavor you love made from healthier ingredients. (Gluten-free + vegan!)
- PEANUT BUTTER BANANA MUFFINS. We LOVE these easy muffins (made in a blender!) for snacks or weekend breakfasts.
- CHUNKY MONKEY OVERNIGHT OATS. This combination is amaaaazing to wake up to!
- FLOURLESS MONSTER COOKIE BARS. Classic monster cookie flavor in bar form! These little squares of goodness might be your new favorite treat.
- HEALTHY SCOTCHEROOS. My childhood favorite made without corn syrup!
- VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER CARAMEL POPCORN. It’s going to change your life.
- CHICKEN SATAY WITH PEANUT SAUCE. Go savory with this delicious dinner. The peanut sauce is so good you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful!
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR PERFECTLY MIXED NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER
TIPS FOR NOT MAKING A MESS:
- LOOSEN IT UP BEFORE YOU TURN ON THE MIXER. I usually pump the beater (turned off!) up and down in the peanut butter a few times before blending so it loosens up a bit before I turn the mixer on.
- START AT THE BOTTOM. Make sure the beater is all the way at the bottom of the jar before turning it on. This will minimize splatters and spills.
- USE THE LOWEST SETTING ON THE MIXER. You won’t need anything higher. Just be patient and go slow to prevent the jar from spinning away from you or peanut butter splattering everywhere.
- HOLD ON TIGHT TO THE JAR OR TAG TEAM. It’s easiest to blend this way if you have one person holding the jar and one person mixing, but (as you’ll see in the video) you can absolutely do it yourself. Just make sure you’ve got a firm grip on the jar before you get started.
DOES THIS METHOD WORK FOR OTHER KINDS OF NUT OR SEED BUTTER? In my experience, yes! I’ve done this with peanut, almond, and cashew butter. If you’re using an especially thick seed butter or a mixed nut/seed butter, you may need to adapt your technique.
DOES THE PEANUT BUTTER STAY MIXED THIS WAY? It depends on how fast you go through your peanut butter. If you’ll get through it in a week or two, it will probably stay mixed or pretty well mixed.
LOOKING FOR MORE KITCHEN TIPS & BASICS? YOU MIGHT LOVE…
- Our Favorite Baking Essentials + Pans + Gadgets
- How to Make Healthy Homemade Jello
- 7 Ways to Make Overnight Oats
- The Ulitmate Guide to Guacamole
- How to Cook Black Beans in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats (+7 Flavors to Try!)