Beta Berry Blast Smoothie – This healthy strawberry mango smoothie is a great change of pace from green smoothies. Delicious, pretty, and made with fruits AND veggies, it’s a perfect healthy breakfast or snack! (Paleo & Vegan)
This Beta Berry Blast Smoothie is one of our favorites! It includes a little dose of veggies, but maybe not one you’d expect…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO OUR BETA BERRY BLAST SMOOTHIE
This strawberry mango smoothie gets a secret veggie boost from carrot juice! It might sound like an unlikely combination, but it works!
- FROZEN STRAWBERRIES. I tend to use frozen fruit in my smoothies when I can because it’s often less expensive, available year-round, and gives a frosty finish to the smoothies. Frozen strawberries are the base of this beta berry blast smoothie, along with…
- FROZEN MANGO. Sweet, creamy mango is such a delicious pairing with bright, tangy strawberries. (Plus, if you’re not a banana fan, this is perfect for you!)
- KIWI. I love adding kiwi to smoothies because it’s packed with vitamin C (more than lemons or oranges!), fiber, folate, potassium, and more. And it rounds out the flavors of the strawberry mango smoothie beautifully. Then, comes the secret veggie boost…
- CARROT JUICE! Carrot juice is loaded with beta carotene (hence the name of the smoothie!), and isn’t too strong a flavor. It’s surprisingly creamy, but it also doesn’t overpower the rest of the flavors. It pairs nicely with sweet things (like the mango and strawberries), and neither of my children noticed it a bit. The brightness of the berries and mango is so complementary to the carrot juice, and the color is GORGEOUS.
- OPTIONAL: SMOOTHIE BOOSTS. If you want to pump up the nutrition even more, you can add one of our favorite smoothie boosts below!
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THIS STRAWBERRY MANGO SMOOTHIE:
A TIP FOR BUYING CARROT JUICE. We typically buy single serving bottles of carrot juice (I can get them at Target, Sprouts, Kroger, Whole Foods, etc.). You only need about half a bottle for a batch of this strawberry mango smoothie, so you can use the rest for another batch, freeze it for later, or mix it with orange juice (my kids will drink this 50-50 with orange juice!)
MAKE YOUR OWN CARROT JUICE (NO JUICER NEEDED!). If you don’t want to buy carrot juice, you can press your own using a juicer, or try this method, which just requires a blender and a strainer or cheesecloth.
CAN I JUST USE CARROTS INSTEAD? That’s up to you, but I’ve found that even with a high-speed blender, the texture isn’t quite the same. I prefer carrot juice.
GOT LEFTOVER SMOOTHIE? You can refrigerate this beta berry blast smoothie and drink it the next day OR you can freeze it in a popsicle mold (my favorite!) and make a smoothie popsicle!
CAN I USE FRESH FRUIT INSTEAD OF FROZEN. Absolutely. Just know the texture won’t be as frosty unless you also add some ice. About 1 cup will make it nice and frosty!
MORE KID-APPROVED FRUIT & VEGGIE SMOOTHIES TO LOVE…
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie (my all-time favorite!)
- Healthy Pineapple Julius Smoothie
- Superfood Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie (You’d never know this is packed with greens!)
- Our Favorite Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Vanilla Kale Smoothie (tastes like a creamy vanilla shake!)
- Pineapple Peach Perfection Smoothie
- 3/4 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup frozen mangos
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- 1/2 cup carrot juice, plus more as needed
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until very smooth, adding more carrot juice as needed.
- Makes 2 grown-up sized smoothies or 4 small ones.