Four Ingredient Lasagna – This EASY lasagna recipe takes just 4(!!!) ingredients and tastes amazing. Don’t miss our tips for making this a gluten free, dairy free dinner!
In the world of lasagna, there are about 9,000 delicious combinations to enjoy. Personally, I don’t feel like there is One Lasagna to Rule Them All. I’ve seen and tried so many versions over the years, ranging from super authentic to quick-and-easy shortcut. And honestly? I like most of them!
One thing that can turn people off about lasagna is the complexity. Some lasagnas can get pretty complex with homemade sauces, a mix of meats, added veggies, and even homemade noodles. I’ve tried several like this over the years and while they can be SUPER delicious, most of us don’t tend to have that kind of time to spare on a regular basis.
Enter: our 4 ingredient lasagna. It’s a delicious, simplified version of lasagna that transforms this meal from a “special occasion/weekend food” to something easy enough to make on a weeknight.
It takes about 20-25 minutes to prep, then you can pop it in the freezer for a busy night down the road, or pop it in the oven to enjoy tonight. Here’s how easy it is…
HERE’S WHAT I PUT IN OUR 4-INGREDIENT LASAGNA.
This is truly the easiest lasagna recipe I’ve ever tried, thanks to having just four simple ingredients. For this lasagna, you will need:
- LASAGNA NOODLES. You can use your favorite for this recipe. We’re gluten free, so we use gluten free lasagna noodles (see the FAQ for our faves!). You’ll need about 12 lasagna noodles for this recipe, though you can absolutely cook a few extra in case. I usually boil water and cook my noodles 3-4 minutes to soften them slightly (they’ll still have plenty of bite), but if oven-ready lasagna noodles are your jam, go for it!
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE OR BREAKFAST SAUSAGE. You’re welcome to use pork, turkey, or chicken bulk (not in links) sausage for this lasagna recipe. I often go for Italian sausage when I can find it (Sprouts has a nice chicken one with great ingredients). For some reason, Italian sausage can sometimes be hard to find where I live. In that case, I use regular bulk breakfast sausage. If you’re eating meatless, see the FAQ–for our favorite veggie option!
- PASTA SAUCE. You can make this 4-ingredient lasagna with whatever jarred pasta sauce you like. Rao’s marinara is my very favorite (I buy it on sale at Target or Sprouts or pick it up in bulk at Costco). You can use whatever you like, or swap for homemade if you like!
- CHEESE (OR DAIRY FREE CHEESE). Last up is shredded cheese. In “the old days,” we used some good-quality mozzarella. Now that we’re dairy free, we opt for a dairy free option–like this.
MAKE IT A MEAL! WHAT TO SERVE WITH MY 4-INGREDIENT LASAGNA…
And since man (and woman) cannot live by lasagna alone…here are some yummy sides to serve with lasagna:
- WARM BREAD OR FOCACCIA. Classic garlic bread, bread with olive oil, or a nice focaccia are perfect side dishes for a lasagna dinner. (We love this SUPER simple gluten free rosemary focaccia!)
- A SIMPLE SIDE SALAD. Mix up some greens, whatever veggies look good in your crisper, and a little dressing. We love this creamy homemade ranch, or this easy Italian dressing to go on top. Or, you could go with…
- GREEN VEGGIES. A pretty pop of green looks gorgeous next to the pretty reds of this 4 ingredient lasagna–some sautéed spinach with a squeeze of lemon juice, salt & pepper, steamed broccoli, or simply roasted asparagus can be nice!
- A LITTLE FRESH FRUIT. While we’re still working on our kids loving veggies at our house, I can usually count on my kids to eat fruit. Some bright citrus (like orange wedges or mandarins), sweet grapes, or even crunchy apple slices can all be tasty complements to this easy lasagna.
FAQ + TIPS FOR THE BEST EASY LASAGNA
CAN I MAKE THIS AS A FREEZER MEAL? Yes! I freeze it unbaked in a freezer-safe container (like one of these foil containers), and wrap it tightly with foil. (Ideally, you’ll wrap it with plastic wrap or press ‘n’ seal first, and then cover that with foil. But remember to take it off, so it doesn’t melt in the oven!) Well-wrapped, frozen lasagna should keep 1-2 months in the freezer, which makes it great for bringing to friends or new mamas, or pulling out on a busy night down the road.
(*NOTE: I recommend a freezer-safe foil container over ceramic, glass, or even metal because those pans can warp during reheating or from the freezer and sometimes the expansion can even cause the pans to crack, break, or explode with the temperature change!)
HOW TO COOK A FROZEN LASAGNA. If you’ve frozen your lasagna unbaked as recommended, just remove it from the freezer, put it in a cold oven, and turn the oven on to 375 degrees F. You’ll cook it about 50-60 minutes, or till it’s nice and bubbly around the edges.
VEGETARIAN? TRY THIS! If you’re not eating meat, you can mince and brown 8-10oz of mushrooms in a pan with a little olive oil or butter for a few minutes before adding them to your sauce. The texture is so hearty and delicious! (We also sometimes go 1/2 and 1/2 with mushrooms and sausage!)
OUR FAVORITE GLUTEN FREE LASAGNA NOODLES. If you’re making this a gluten free lasagna (as we do these days), you’ll need gluten free lasagna noodles. We like these brown rice ones from Jovial (get them for less at places like Sprouts and Thrive Market), or these ones from Tinkyada. If you can’t find them, you can look for oven-ready gluten free lasagna noodles.
OUR FAVORITE DAIRY FREE CHEESE OPTION. If you need dairy-free cheese, our favorite is the Daiya cutting board mozzarella shreds. They melt better than most dairy-free cheeses, and the flavor is better than any other brand we’ve tried. (Or, you can skip the cheese–we’ve done that before!)
LOVE THIS LASAGNA RECIPE? YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE:
- Pomodoro Sauce
- Simple Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Gluten Free Rosemary Focaccia
- Italian Chopped Salad with Italian Dressing
HELPFUL FOR THIS RECIPE:
I don’t think it gets easier than 4 ingredient lasagna! This family classic is as easy as can be, with all the cozy comfort you’re looking for. (And, it can be gluten & dairy free, too!)
- 12 lasagna noodles (gluten free, if needed*)
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (can use pork, turkey, or chicken)
- 1 1/2 (24oz) jars favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 3–4 cups grated mozzarella (or dairy free mozzarella**)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 Tbsp of salt.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions (my packages always say cook noodles 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a medium skillet and cook until completely cooked through. Drain any excess fat.
- If your pan is large enough, pour sauce into the cooked sausage. (Otherwise, pour the sauce into a saucepan and stir in the cooked sausage.)
- To assemble the lasagna, pour a smidge (less than 1/4 cup) of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13″ pan.
- Layer 4 noodles over sauce. Add about 1 cup sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with about 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese. If desired, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 about 40 minutes or till bubbly.
*Our favorite gluten free lasagna noodles are Jovial brown rice lasagna noodles or Tinkyada brown rice lasagna noodles.
**Our favorite dairy free mozzarella cheese is Daiya Cutting Board Mozzarella Shreds
- Category: Main Dish, Pasta
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Italian-American
Keywords: gluten free lasagna, dairy free lasagna, sausage lasagna, four ingredient lasagna, easy lasagna recipe, lasagne recipe
Originally posted July 2008. Fully updated December 2019.