Harvest Apple Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad – This colorful kale and Brussels sprouts salad is perfect when the weather turns cold. You’ll love the mix-ins and balsamic-herb dressing (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation, but I’m a firm believer that it’s really all about preparation! If you roast them, for instance, they get gorgeous caramelized edges. If you pair them with something savory like bacon, they take on a gorgeous savory flavor that turns addictive.
Today’s Harvest Apple Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad really works. It’s got savory, sweet, tangy, smoky, salty notes and a gorgeous array of colors that makes it a stunner on a weeknight or at a holiday table as a side dish.
Plus, did I mention the balsamic herb dressing yet? Because WOWWWWW it’s here to deliver.
Here’s how you’ll get started…
Here’s What Goes Into Our Harvest Apple Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Shredded Kale. Kale adds gorgeous dark green color to this salad. I love the combination of greens!
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts. Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation, but in my opinion, it’s ALL about preparation! The way you cook (or don’t cook!) this green veggie has a lot to do with how it tastes. Shredding the sprouts & massaging some of our dressing into them gives them great texture!
- Diced Apple. Some sweetness is the star of our apple kale & brussels sprouts salad! I love the crunch and color of a pretty Honeycrisp apple best.
- Minced Onion. For a savory note, you’ll add finely minced red onion or some sliced green onion. It really balances the flavors!
- Dried Cranberries. I love how pretty dried cranberries can look in a salad like this!
- Toasted Almonds. My favorite! Some salty toasted almonds add crunch, and a deep toasty note that’s beautiful.
- Crispy Bacon. And for some smoky, savory goodness, a little cooked, crumbled bacon. Yum!
- Balsamic Herb Dressing. This yummy dressing is one of my absolute favorites! It’s made from a blend of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs that make this salad sing!
More Goodies To Try In This Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Cooked Chicken. This Kale Brussels Sprouts Salad is a perfect way to use leftover cooked or shredded chicken. Feel free to add some to fill this out even more.
- White Beans. Feel free to add some drained, rinsed white beans for some plant-based protein. They taste great with this balsamic-herb dressing!
- Avocado. Some creamy avocado can be LOVELY in this kale brussels sprouts salad. I love it with the apple & bacon!
- Diced Pears. To mimic our pear pomegranate salad, you can totally swap out the apples for some ripe pears!
- Pomegranate Seeds. Speaking of which, some pretty jewel-like pomegranate arils (seeds) can make this salad look even prettier when they’re in season!
- Pumpkin Seeds. Swap the nuts for pumpkin seeds! Roasted, salted pumpkin seeds are another delicious way to add a satisfying crunch.
- Roasted Squash. Have some roasted squash? Toss it in! I love this salad with our Cinnamon Roasted Squash, or this smoky squash!
FAQ + Tips & Tricks For The Best Harvest Apple Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad:
Can You Make This Salad In Advance? Sort of! The greens will keep well, even after being massaged for 2-3 days easily. The dressing lasts for a week. But I recommend not fully assembling it until closer to when you plan to serve for best results.
What Other Dressings Are Good With This Salad? I LOVE this Harvest Apple Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad with our balsamic herb dressing, but if you’re looking for a change of pace, you can try the cider dressing in this post, or a nice poppy seed dressing!
Pro Tip: Bake Your Bacon! I almost always bake my bacon these days! I love that it’s more hands-off and I don’t have to clean a bunch of splatters out of my clothes and stovetop.
How to Massage Kale. Don’t know what I mean when I mention massaging the kale and brussels sprouts? This post walks you through just what that looks like!