Hello Dollies – Whether you call them Hello Dollies, 7-Layer Bars, or Magic Bars, this decadent retro dessert is the perfect sweet treat!
These are amazing. I say that about pretty much all desserts that I post, but I really only post amazing ones. I try not to post mediocre recipes. What would be the point? Anyone can eat mediocre dinner.
Today, I’m popping in with a yummy retro treat: Hello Dollies! You may know them by their other nicknames–Seven Layer Bars or Magic Bars. No matter what name you call them, these little cookie bars are such a yummy, decadent treat! Plus, they’re super easy to make. Here’s what goes into them…
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS FOR HELLO DOLLIES?
Whether you call these treats hello dollies, 7-layer bars, or magic bars, the ingredients follow the same pattern. You’ll be adding seven ingredients (in order):
- Crushed Graham Crackers
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
- Chopped Nuts (pecans, almonds, or walnuts are popular) and
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
Each ingredient is added one at a time (which is how they get the 7-layer bars nickname), and though it’ll kind of look like one big mess when you pop them in the oven, they come out looking caramel-y, chocolatey, and golden like magic (which is how they get their magic bars nickname!).
FAQ + TIPS FOR PERFECT HELLO DOLLIES
ARE HELLO DOLLIES THE SAME THING AS MAGIC BARS OR 7-LAYER BARS? Yes! They’re all different nicknames for the same type of dessert.
CUT THEM SMALL-ISH. These 7-layer bars are very decadent little treats! Although they look, smell, and taste incredible, they are very rich, and if you eat a huge one, it will feel like too much. Don’t ruin it for yourself! (You can always go back for seconds!)
A TIP FOR GETTING THEM OUT OF THE PAN. As soon as your hello dollies come out of the oven, run a knife around the edges to help pull the cookies away from the pan. Otherwise, they might stick and then they won’t come out beautifully. I also cut them into squares when they’re still ooey gooey and hot. It makes things easier later.
CAN YOU MAKE HELLO DOLLIES GLUTEN FREE? You bet! To make gluten free magic bars, you’ll just want to use gluten free graham crackers.
CRAVING MORE TREATS? YOU MIGHT LIKE:Print
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 1 sleeve crushed)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use almonds, but any kind really will work)
- 1 small can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the butter in a glass or ceramic 9×13″ pan, and put it in the oven for 2-3 minutes to melt.
- Remove from oven and add graham cracker crumbs. Pat down to create base layer.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut, then chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and chopped nuts over the graham cracker layer.
- Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until the condensed milk has soaked into the bars and the edges are golden.
- Run a knife around the edges of pan while still warm to prevent cookies from sticking to edges. Slice into small squares while still warm.
- Category: Desserts, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Hello Dollies, 7 Layer Bars, Seven Layer Bars, Magic Bars, Magic Cookie Bars