Scrumptious Apple Crumble Pie – The BEST apple pie I’ve ever eaten is so easy to make at home! You’ll love the crumble topping. AND it’s gluten free and dairy free friendly!
Note: Nutrition facts are for filling and crumble topping only, as nutrition facts will vary based on the crust you use.
- 6–7 cups peeled, sliced apples, such as Granny Smith (this took me about 5–6 apples)
- 3 Tbsp. gluten free flour or white flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp) slightly softened butter, cubed (not melted)
- 1/2 cup quick oats (can sub old-fashioned)
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour or white flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place your crust in your pie pan. Place pie pan on a baking sheet.
- Make pie filling. In a large bowl, by combining apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Pour into pie shell and shake a bit to let the apples settle.
- Make the crumble topping. In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, oats, flour, and salt until well mixed and small crumbles form.
- Carefully scoop or spoon the crumble topping over the apple pie.
- Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, or until topping and crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- NOTE: Check your pie at the 30 minute mark and again at the 45 minute mark to check for browning. If your crust is browning too quickly, you can carefully tent the crust with strips of foil, or move the pie to a lower rack in the oven.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired.
Gluten & Dairy Free Notes: As I said, this pie can be made gluten & dairy free. You start with a gluten free crust (store-bought or homemade), and use gluten free 1:1 all-purpose flour for the pie/crumble topping. I like Bob’s Red Mill blend. For dairy free, swap in vegan buttery sticks (like Earth Balance) in place of the butter.
Make it Ahead! You can totally make and assemble this pie ahead of time, which is a great way to free up time on Thanksgiving or for parties. Make and assemble the pie all the way (crust + filling + crumble topping), then place on a baking sheet and freeze till solid (this is called flash freezing). Cover with plastic wrap and foil or a freezer safe bag, and you can store it in the freezer for about a month.
To Bake From Frozen, remove the plastic wrap and foil, place on a baking sheet, and place the frozen pie in a cold oven. (Don’t pre-heat it. Putting a frozen pie in a hot oven can cause a glass or ceramic pie pan to freak out and burst). Set the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbly.
Best Apples For Pie – This changes all the time as new varieties of apples come out, but some of the best apples for apple pie are: Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Jazz, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady, Jonagold, Braeburn, and Northern Spy.
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: Oven, Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie, apple pie recipe, apple crumble pie recipe, gluten free apple crumble pie recipe, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, apple crumble pie, apple pie with crumble topping