Let’s make White Taco Soup! This creamy taco soup recipe is an easy, delicious spin on classic taco soup that’s sure to become one of your new favorites!
My mom did most of the cooking at my house growing up, and one of my whole family’s all-time favorite things she made was her White Taco Soup recipe. It tastes INCREDIBLE! This hearty soup is SO PACKED with flavor and has a luscious creamy texture you’ll crave.
If you love Tex-Mex soups like Chicken Tortilla Soup or White Chicken Chili, you’ll love this creamy taco soup. It’s an easy weeknight dinner that’s perfect for a busy night or a great recipe next time you’re craving a little cozy comfort food.
Here’s what you need to make my favorite taco soup recipe…
Simple Ingredients For White Taco Soup:
- Cooked Shredded Chicken. This is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken breasts. Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, poached chicken or roasted chicken all work great!
- Butter. To cook our aromatics.
- An Onion & Garlic Cloves. These two add gorgeous flavor for the base of the soup. (I use a yellow onion or sweet onion)
- Simple Seasonings. Since the soup starts with such a flavorful aromatic base, we really don’t need to do much to coax MAJOR flavor out of this soup. I usually add a simple mix of salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- Green Chiles. I use mild green chiles, but if you want a little more heat or spice, feel free to use medium or hot green chilis instead!
- Chicken Broth. A soup staple! (Use bone broth for extra protein)
- Whole Milk or Half & Half. This is a creamy taco soup recipe, so it’s a time to really go for it! Use half and half for a super creamy soup, or stick with whole milk for the regular version. DON’T use low-fat milk here! It won’t work. See the FAQ for more.
- Monterey Jack Cheese. Instead of a block of cream cheese, we get more flavor from adding grated cheese. It makes this flavorful soup soup luscious. SO GOOD!
- Frozen Corn. My mom’s version uses a can of creamed corn. Not all creamed corn is gluten-free, so my version swaps in frozen sweet corn. (Or you can make gluten-free creamed corn and use about 1.5 cups!)
- Cilantro. My favorite fresh finish! It adds a light, fresh note to this creamy taco soup. If you’re not a cilantro person, you can skip this.
How To MAke This Creamy Taco Soup, Step By Step:
- Soften The Onion. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add Seasonings. Next, add the garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add The Broth. Then, add the chicken broth, chicken, and green chiles and stir, bringing the broth to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to low heat.
- Finish. Stir in the milk, grated cheese, and corn. Stir just until the cheese is melted. (At this point, you don’t want to let the soup boil again, or it can start to separate. Keep the heat low from here on out–no higher than a bare simmer.) Stir in the cilantro.
- Serve & Store. Enjoy the soup warm with cornbread muffins, tortilla chips, Fritos, or side salad. Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator 3-4 days. Reheat gently to avoid separating.
Pretty Presentation Tips:
To make this already delicious soup look even more enticing, spoon it into bowls and try some of my favorite toppings for garnish:
- Sliced or Diced Avocado
- Jalapeño Slices
- More Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Grilled Corn
- Crispy Tortilla Strips
- Chopped or diced tomatoes (or red bell pepper)
- A Tiny Sprinkle of Chili Powder or homemade taco seasoning
- A Little Hot Sauce
- Lime Wedges – Adding a little squeeze of lime juice can be lovely!
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best White Taco Soup:
Try It With Beans! For some extra protein and fiber, you can add 1 can of drained, rinsed white beans. Pinto beans, Great Northern beans, navy beans, or cannellini beans (white kidney beans) work great here! (Black beans are delicious, but don’t look as pretty as white beans)
What To Serve With White Taco Soup. I love serving this cheesy taco soup with a side of cornbread, cornbread muffins, baked tortilla chips (or store-bought!), Fritos, or crispy tortilla strips. To keep things light or lower carb, you can enjoy a simple green salad on the side. Easy, fresh & delicious!
Don’t Use Low Fat Milk! You might be tempted to use 2% low-fat milk or fat-free milk to cut calories here. Don’t do it! The soup will be watery and thin, rather than the thick, creamy soup we’re going for. If you want a lighter taco soup, you’d probably love this salsa verde chicken chili!
…But You Can Get Creamier! While you can’t use low fat milk, you absolutely CAN use half and half or even heavy cream for a creamier finish. It gives this soup the loveliest creamy texture!
Can You Freeze This Soup? I don’t recommend it. Creamy soups don’t usually do well in the freezer, and can separate when thawed.
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star review and comment below when you make our White Taco Soup recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print
Originally shared Feb 2009. Fully updated June 2023.