Steak Salad with Avocado Green Goddess Dressing – The star of this gorgeous salad is totally the avocado green goddess dressing. It’s bright, tangy, and LOADED with flavor. Serve over steak, chicken, shrimp, and more! (Gluten free, dairy free)
I don’t believe in boring salad. Think plain chicken, plain greens, maybe a tiny squeeze of lemon juice or a low-cal dressing. When I see a salad like this, I just want to say “It doesn’t have to be this way!”
For me, there is NO point in eating a salad if it isn’t A) loaded with goodies and B) topped with an amazing dressing. This salad is absolutely both. It’s got a gorgeous balance of colors and flavors and the dressing? The DRESSING!!!
For the green goddess dressing I used here, I broke from tradition and used basil instead of the traditional tarragon. You can substitute other herbs (or a combination!) if you like. I just loved the herby goodness and almost-like-pesto vibe it created. Mixed with plenty of bright, fresh lemon juice, some fresh chives, and just enough salt and pepper, it’s just such an awesome balance of flavors.
For this dressing, I loved using a mix of Balanced with Meyer Lemon and Roasted Garlic, which made for such amazing flavor in the dressing! Add some colorful veggies and a little protein (steak, chicken, shrimp, etc.) to the mix, and this was one satisfying salad!
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
Paleo? Awesome! This salad easily lends itself to paleo and Whole30 eating. Simply skip the croutons in favor of some pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or pine nuts, and swap the corn for another favorite veggie (roasted bell peppers or jicama, perhaps).
Make Your Own Croutons. This is one of my favorite kitchen hacks. Save all the ends and pieces of your bread (you can also use fresh slices if you prefer). When you’ve got several slices, drizzle them in olive oil, butter, or ghee and sprinkle with some coarse salt. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes, turning them over every 8 minutes or so, until golden.
PS – This is another way to add some awesome flavor with your Queen Creek Olive Mill olive oils! I might do roasted garlic croutons and a mix of jalapeño and balanced olive oil for my salad dressing. Mix and match!
Change it Up! If steak isn’t your thing, this salad is equally delicious with chicken, shrimp, a soft-boiled egg, or another scoop of veggies!
What Other Veggies Can I Use? This salad is really flexible and once you taste that avocado green goddess dressing, you’ll want to put it on EVERYTHING! Feel free to add more veggies or swap out some of the ones listed below. I really like roasted bell peppers, jicama, celery, diced avocado, grilled zucchini or summer squash, caramelized onions, etc.
Love a Good Salad? You Might Also Like These…
- Confetti Quinoa Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- My Big Fat Greek Quinoa Salad
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
Queen Creek Olive Mill is a really fun stop for Arizona locals, with plenty to do, see, shop, and eat. They also ship nationwide, so you can order online and have them delivered to your door! I love using them in my cooking or in these little olive oil and herb bombs which can add an extra layer of flavor to ANYTHING.
- 1 Avocado, halved and pit removed
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
- Juice of 1-2 lemons (about 4-6 Tbsp)
- 4 Tbsp Queen Creek Olive Mill Olive Oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- (optional: 1 clove garlic - if not using garlic oil)
- 8oz of sliced grilled steak, grilled chicken, or shrimp
- 6-8 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup halved baby tomatoes
- ½ cup grated carrots
- Croutons, pepitas, or pine nuts (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice as desired. If you want your dressing thinner, add additional olive oil or a drizzle of water to thin it out.
- Layer greens, veggies, and your steak. Top with croutons, peptitas, or pine nuts, and drizzle with dressing.
- Additional dressing will keep tightly covered for 3-4 days.