This Amazing Gluten-Free Apple Crisp recipe has a perfectly spiced apple filling and a buttery crisp topping that’s PERFECT with a scoop of ice cream on top! (Gluten-Free, Vegan-Friendly)
I’m *more* than a little excited that it’s just about September. It’s the start of apple season, pumpkin All The Things, and the time of year where I get WAY too into a season that’s still not officially here until the end of the month.
(Cue: strong urges to wear sweaters it’s way too hot to wear, watch Nora Ephron movies, and sprinkle the house with fall decorations.)
Apple crisp is one of the happiest parts of apple season. The smell of sweet, cinnamon-y apples and that delightful crisp topping is just THE BEST! Warm from the oven, with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream on top? I’m THERE.
This gluten-free apple crisp recipe is really something special. The cozy apple filling and the crisp topping is heaven on earth. The combination is CRAZY good, and it’s amazing that all that flavor comes from a humble set of ingredients you’ll pretty much always have on hand if you like to bake.
(Oh, and if you’re not gluten-free? You can still totally make this!)
Here are the simple ingredients you need to get started on this gluten-free apple crisp…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY GLUTEN-FREE APPLE CRISP RECIPE:
- APPLES! You’ll start this gluten-free apple crisp recipe with plenty of sliced apples. Granny Smith and Honeycrisp are my two favorite varieties for apple crisp, but Fuji is another nice choice!
- BROWN SUGAR + CINNAMON. I use brown sugar instead of white sugar for apple crisp. It gives the filling a deeper, richer flavor, in my opinion. Then, I use just the right amount of cinnamon to season the apples.
- CORNSTARCH. For the filling, I prefer using a little cornstarch, but the recipe will also work with flour instead. Use what you like best! This will just help the apples thicken up when they soften in the oven. It also adds a “saucy” effect to the crumble, which is extra amazing when it’s served warm with ice cream.
- A PINCH OF SALT. I don’t put lemon juice in my apple crisp (I find it conflicts with the cinnamon). Instead, I add a *tiny* pinch of salt and it makes all the difference for me. It balances the flavors in a beautiful way, and I recommend you don’t skip it!
- A GORGEOUS CRUMBLE TOPPING. The best part of apple crisp is the crumble topping, amiright? Mine uses a combination of butter or vegan butter, gluten-free flour (I use this one or this one), certified gluten-free oats, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. It’s HEAVEN.
SERVE IT UP! SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR GLUTEN-FREE APPLE CRISP.
ADD SOME ICE CREAM. Maybe the most obvious thing ever, but adding a scoop of vanilla or salted caramel ice cream on top of this gluten-free apple crisp will take it from amazing to mind-blowing.
OUR FAVORITE DAIRY-FREE ICE CREAM. If you’re dairy-free, we like Nada Moo vanilla, SoDelicious Oatmilk vanilla, SoDelicious cashew milk vanilla, and SoDelicious salted caramel cluster.
DRIZZLE IT WITH SOME CARAMEL SAUCE. Aaaand if you’re feeling decadent, go ahead and drizzle it with some caramel sauce…
- THIS APPLE CIDER CARAMEL SAUCE is made with apple cider and a tiny pinch of cinnamon so it tastes like liquid fall! (Plus, it’s vegan-friendly)
- VEGAN CARAMEL. You can also make a quick vegan “caramel” sauce by combining 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter + 1/2 cup pure maple syrup + 2 tsp. vanilla + a pinch of salt. It’s not exactly the same, but the flavors still work here if you’re in a pinch!
- SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE. And if you’re not dairy-free, go for a traditional salted caramel sauce! I hear the Trader Joe’s one is incredible.
FAQ + TIPS AND TRICKS FOR GLUTEN-FREE APPLE CRISP:
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR APPLE CRISP? My two favorites are Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples, but Fuji is another yummy variety for apple crisp!
MAKE SURE YOU’RE USING GLUTEN-FREE INGREDIENTS! Oats themselves don’t contain wheat gluten, but they’re often farmed or processed in ways that cause cross-contamination. Be sure you’re buying certified gluten-free oats, like Bob’s Red Mill, Thrive Market brand, Trader Joe’s, or One Degree.
TIP: OUR FAVORITE INEXPENSIVE PEELER! Peeling apples is the most time-intensive part of this gluten-free apple crisp recipe, but it’s a LOT easier if you have a good peeler. This one is inexpensive and works REALLY well. Highly recommend. (Also: you don’t *have* to peel your apples if you don’t want to! It’s totally a personal preference!)
TIP: CUT YOUR APPLES EVENLY. Tempting as it is to rush, I recommend making sure you take the time to slice your apples evenly. (I cut mine about 1/4″ thick.) That way, they’ll *cook* evenly. Otherwise, you can end up with some overly soft and some that still have some bite.
TIP: LET IT COOL A BIT BEFORE SERVING. I KNOW you want to dive in right away while it’s piping hot, but if you’ll let this apple crisp cool 15-20 minutes at least, the filling will have time to thicken up a bit, and it’ll be gorgeous and syrupy without being soupy. Trust me. It’ll still be warm and gooey and delicious. It just won’t be liquid!
CAN I DOUBLE THIS APPLE CRISP RECIPE? Yes! You can double it and bake it in a 9×13″ baking dish. You may need to add a few minutes to the bake time (just make sure it’s all golden and gorgeous even in the middle), but it’ll work great!
HELPFUL TOOLS + INGREDIENTS FOR THIS APPLE CRISP RECIPE: